parrot shots

danielsmith4213

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dannytsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The parrots around my house have been looking very photographable lately, which angle do you think is better?? also does anyone know what type of bird this is, i live in Queensland, Australia.

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

Hi,

I like the second shot better because it doesn't have a huge tree trunk in it. That said, there are still a lot of branches and twigs that distract the viewer from the main subject. Do you have a longer lens? I think you need one so you can really get close to the bird. I think there is an old joke that says, "The lens you need for bird photography is always 200mm longer than the one you have on you." :)
I visited Queensland last summer, by the way. Mostly Brisbane but also Rockhampton. It's a very beautiful place and I want to visit again some day.

Heya Daniel, you have such birds arrive in your garden, living "wild", just like blackbirds and sparrows would come to my garden!? :shock: Wow! I would feel like wanting to take their photos, too! I only ever see them in zoos or bird parks, captive! Never in the WILD! Too cool.

Sorry, no idea as to what they are called.

I agree with Marcus on all things he said, a) that the second photo is better because that big, bright tree trunk is not there, b) that there are still too many elements there in the second photo and c) that the lenses we usually have usually are too short for any kind of decent bird photography.... :roll:

Now I am not sure if I am seeing a digital photo here, or a digitalised photo from film or print (scanned)? And I am not sure there is enough sharpness and resolution on the parrots to maybe create a crop just so more bird can be shown and less trees and branches and twigs? Have you ever tried?

Thanks for the pointers guys, yes it's beautiful around here with all of these birds, i actually used an old crappy Nikon lens and bought an adapter for my Rebel xti so i could at least try telephotography (maybe that could be right). This could explain why these photos are grainy.

Could anyone tell me if it is worth buying an older telephoto lens (from a film camera) to save money????

Cheers guys

Well, I use the Sigma DG 70-300mm lens, a newer one because the first I had was broken, but I could use the same on the film camera, too. Seems to work on the 350D (Rebel xti) as well as on the other Rebel (SLR). It is not quite so expensive (here, that is, don't know about Australia).

Most reactions

Back