Partly Washed out

Cdeep04

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey,

I just got hold of a new lens for me. Its a zoom 39 - 80. My problem is that when I take pic, if there is any sky in the frame, that part of the pic comes out a little washed out or over developed. I am using 200 speed film. The color on the bottom half of the pic looks wonderful its just where its meets up with the sky line. This happes weater or not I am facing sun or the sun is behind me. This does not happen with my 35mm lens. Anyone have any sugestions? I am using a Canon nFTb

This sounds pretty normal to me. Could you post a picture just so we can check though?

it sounds like your camera is correctly exposing for the foreground (or the land part of your photo) and because the sky is naturally a fair bit brighter than that, the sky looks over exposed.

To fix this, try exposing for the sky, or something bright on the land - like a bright t-shirt. Or, expose for the sky and use a fill flash to illuminate your subject.

I think the problem is more that the Lens isnt speaking to the camera correctly. I shouldnt have to use a fill flash for these photos.

I would love to show them to you, just can figure out how to do it.

read this http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21012

It sounds odd that your skies would be over exposed with one lens, but not another. Maybe it's just where you tend to hold the camera and set the meter with the lens.

Like Meysha said, it sounds like you are exposing the foreground, which typically leave a bight sky overexposed. If you expose for the sky, the darker parts will get darker. That does not have much to do with the lens. Unless you are setting the camera manually...it's the camera's meter that is making the decision...based upon what you how much light is coming though the lens, into the camera.

Prime (non-zoom) lenses are typically better than zoom lenses...in terms of image quality...but I don't think it would be such a difference that one would have blown out skies while one would not.

well my metor isnt working right now since it uses the old mercury battery. I just judge. But I have played around with the settings and its still the same problem . Im shooting out doors around 9 am . Bright and sunny. Im setting speeds with 60 and 125 with an f/5.6 - f/2.8. Still the same problem with the same shot and several light settings

Most reactions

Back