Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Discussion in 'The Creative Corner' started by snowbear, Jan 10, 2020.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    At the risk of over posting (I’m on vacation all week so get used to it)... I tried that poppy abstract tutorial that limr posted and I’m super happy with how it came out. It’s not perfect results but a great tutorial. Here’s the first layer:
    41CA23A5-D9BA-4A91-9326-F2D36498E2D1.jpeg

And the official end to the tutorial:
    63EFDDEF-7858-4162-8AFD-CB9E173CF989.jpeg

Great sideways again! I wasn’t crazy about the stick stems so I added some leafy strokes and the obligatory watercolor tutorial flicks of color (I don’t really get that but I’m the newb so I did it). Here’s the final. I think I’ve figured out a solution for the sideways issue.

441371C7-9BA4-4AF9-9464-285800B18F20.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  2. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I got these: h
    //www.dickblick.com/items/00330-1029/

I have a set of tube paints, and I like them, but some of the caps broke (I have had them a while) and one of my blues is totally dry. I know that I can revive it, but I figured I would get a new set of paints anyway, just in case, since I needed to buy paper and a new palette anyway. And some more size brushes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I need brushes. I can use Princess’s for now but should really get my own if I’m going to add this to my hobbies - and right now it feels like it. The two tiny ones that came with what I bought are good for details but not for anything else. Any recommendations for brand and sizes that are really useful? Are there different brushes for wc vs acrylics? I used her acrylic brushes today...

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This turned out beautifully! !

Treat yourself to whatever supplies you need, and keep going. ;)

5. snowbear

snowbear Oh, hai. I iz bear. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    For basic watercolors, I'd start with a couple rounds (sometimes called brights) - I like a #4 and a larger, say #6 or #8. Add a #2 for details. Also get a few flats - about 1/4" (#10), and 1/2". For washing large areas, get a "Mop" - a large round brush. I've had some luck with a makeup Powder brush, though it does lose hairs. Some watercolor brushes have a handle that ends in an angled tip. This is for scratching the paint (sgraffito).

More often than not, I lean towards the long handle brushes used in acrylic, but I've started getting the shorter watercolor brushed. I prefer the red sable and the synthetic sable. I have some stiffer bristle brushes for acrylic.

Like anything else, you tend to get what you pay for. I'd stay away from the 12-brush kits, as they generally don't last long. Also, don't get too hung up on sizes. Think small, medium, ans large to begin with. It's like photography - you don't need to cover every focal length.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    At one time you wouldn't use oil paint brushes for acrylics or watercolors; the glue used would not always be water resistant and the bristles could (over time) fall out. This may or may not be tru with the water-washable oils, I really don'r know.

Also new brushes may be starched. Lightly bend bristles back and forth and even soak in cold water for 30 minutes to half an hour to break them in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Since I showed you the good I will show you the bad and the ugly. This tutorial was just music and very few subtitles. It was way above my level. It was speeded up and I had to rewind dozens of time. I watched it all the way through first and the tried it in my new little book. She wet the entire paper first which caused all my flowers to bleed everywhere and I made a mess trying to fix that. the one in front on the left is supposed to be detailed and in focus and the rest gradually out of focus but I really screwed that part up. I’ll try this again sometime in the future when I have a better clue what I’m doing. This is embarrassing but here it is!
    6E1048DF-5CE5-4F8B-B328-F8CFFDBA574A.jpeg

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're just showing an attempt to learn from what sounds like a hard tutorial to follow, combined with trying a completely different technique. No worries! This looks like the end result of just about every effort I've made with watercolors, regardless of the approach. I find control over this medium escapes me.

Soaking the paper first just seems to beg the pigment to run and bleed. She may have mastered it, but it may not be the best thing for beginners to try.

You don't have to like your end result to have learned from it. In the dark room, we call the trash can the "learning bin." :icon_mrgreen: I still fill mine when I get in there!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    Not having seen the video, I'm guessing they really want you to pre-stretch the paper to minimize warping: When paper gets wet, it will stretch, and then shrink again when it dries (nothing new to folks that have worked in a darkroom).. You will likely notice when your paint dries, the paper may buckle or warp. To help minimize this, before you paint, wet the paper with plain water then tack or tape it down to a drawing board. If you are using a table or piece of masonite as a surface, then just tape it down (use artist tape or brown wet-it-to-make-it-sticky packing tape). Let the paper dry, before you start painting.

If you are using a watercolor block (it is bound with tape on all sides, not just the top), you don't need to stretch it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Wetting the paper seems to be part of her technique. She has another video doing the sane thing and I guess I was not supposed to wet the front flower in this one but I don’t think that would have saved it. She wets the paper and then seems to be really good at applying the paint so that it runs into the shape that she was looking for which is sort of amazing. I’m going to look for more videos by the poppy lady lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. johngpt

johngpt Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You folks are rocking this!
    I'm really enjoying your posts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. snowbear

Photos OK to edit

Thank you. Let's see yours!

• Agree Agree x 1