Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

A fairly recent oil pastel painting. Practicing with waves and ocean, and felt like trying a figure. I don't do a lot of people, and this was the best I could do.

Beach sunset final.jpg

I used Mungyo and Neopastel oil pastels.

A fairly recent oil pastel painting. Practicing with waves and ocean, and felt like trying a figure. I don't do a lot of people, and this was the best I could do.

View attachment 188844

I used Mungyo and Neopastel oil pastels.
Gorgeous!

Beautiful, Terri.

Been meaning to read this topic sooner but kept forgetting. Glad I finally got around to reading it, some good stuff. I miss art. Been a long time since I've done more than doodle, I would like to have more time to play around a little.

Thank you both! :) I made a bunch of changes as I went along with this one, not one of my more decisive efforts. Still have a lot to learn!

Been meaning to read this topic sooner but kept forgetting. Glad I finally got around to reading it, some good stuff. I miss art. Been a long time since I've done more than doodle, I would like to have more time to play around a little.
It's not a bad way to occupy our minds during this time. I'm finding that I'd just as soon stay inside like we're being asked to, and paint, rather than try to get out and shoot.

If you miss art, this might be a good time to get back to it! :)

Here's another beach scene. I had a photo ref for this one that the photographer shared for us struggling artists. :lol: This was apparently shot in the Pacific NW on a very, very overcast and misty day.

Oregon coast exercise.JPG

I was very insecure about trying this one, so I sketched it out first using hard pastels - in this instance, Prismacolor Nupastels. I have a limited set, but it was helpful enough to get me going.

Here's that Nupastel sketch, which also served as an underpainting, I guess. I sprayed over the chalk with Krylon workable fixative, a couple of passes, then went to work with actual oil pastels to get the final painting above.

Oregon coast underpainting w Nupastels.jpg

Man, I think chalk is messy, but I made it worse by trying a different paper. I used Pastelmat, by Clairefontaine. It is a lightly sanded paper, great texture for oil pastels. It was stupid of me to decide to use CHALK first with this paper. No worries, it only took half a box of wipes to clean up. :icon_mad:

watercolor sketch for oil painting, on site. Cleaning up server... stumbles across this. I have the oil final somewhere but tagging wasn't a thing back in the day.

FRIEND.jpg

Your graphites look more like daguerreotypes! Beautiful stuff, I love them.:icon_thumbsup:

I was inspired to do this one because of my former car. I drove my Beetle for 6 years - turbocharged, speedy little thing. :586: The fit & finish was starting to show too much wear, IMO, for only having 78K miles on it. The engine was fabulous and I loved being able to park in small-ish areas. Great little car!

VW Beetle.JPG

I used my photo oil pencils for the line details for the rear bumpers, trunk, etc. They worked great over the oil pastels. My new favorite color is cobalt blue, btw. :icon_mrgreen: Mungyo Gallery Soft op's, with a few Senneliers, on Arches oil paper.

I love it! The shapes of the cracked edges are great!

I like the cross hatch shading, too. That's a cool technique that seems like it would be time consuming, but the effect is always so good.

Keep 'em coming!

@snowbear, get away from all those computer screens and give us some watercolors!

Please, I mean. :1247:

I love it! The shapes of the cracked edges are great!

I like the cross hatch shading, too. That's a cool technique that seems like it would be time consuming, but the effect is always so good.

Keep 'em coming!

@snowbear, get away from all those computer screens and give us some watercolors!

Please, I mean. :1247:
I'll get something put together in the next couple of days. I have an older drawing + acrylic that needs to be revisited.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back