Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Another oil pastel painting. I was having a play with my seldom-used pearl/iridescent colors and thought they'd be fun on this butterfly. Then I built a little garden scene around the butterfly, so it was kind of a backwards approach. :lol:

Butterfly 1.JPG

Here's a close-up shot, to show the iridescence of the OP's on the butterfly, and the overall texture. The lighting looks a little yellowy, oops.

Butterfly closeup.jpg

Here's a close-up shot, to show the iridescence of the OP's on the butterfly, and the overall texture.
That’s so cool! Love this so much!

egg tempera. 18 month, commission. maybe my last hand commission in this medium. I delivered it last week. I gave all my art supplies away to my youngest son some time ago, this was the last hanging over my head.

EggPF.jpg

D.C. Cherry Blossoms (based on an image I took several years ago):

So beautiful. I would get my watercolors out for this one. What a treat!

Awesome!. Get your stuff back!

Lol, Thank you. I am working with my son to find his style. He doesn't want my visual to copy skill. He wants a spirit to his hand skill.

Lol, Thank you. I am working with my son to find his style. He doesn't want my visual to copy skill. He wants a spirit to his hand skill.
You can help them withn the basics, but ultimately, they have to develop their own style.

Absolutely gorgeous, JC! This is another medium I'm not likely to try, fear factor I suppose. ;) But you have the look nailed. I agree with Charlie - get your stuff back, or get new stuff. :lol: The detailing here is just exquisite - love the bits of rust. Beautiful work!

Absolutely gorgeous, JC! This is another medium I'm not likely to try, fear factor I suppose. ;) But you have the look nailed. I agree with Charlie - get your stuff back, or get new stuff. :lol: The detailing here is just exquisite - love the bits of rust. Beautiful work!

Time consuming medium but rather easy in my opinion. I just used small brushes and a lot of rubber cement for masking. I used a metalic silver base for this one. I had 3 base mediums for paintings. Yellow Ochre, Silver, and a blue gray. I sanded and erased a lot. Worked mostly on durable substrates. Small brushes. I made a painting, mostly good but somewhat crude, sanded, applied egg colored washes, sanded, repeat, etc. Small brushes. 20 + layers but probably half removed during process. Small brushes.

Hmm, that video was a nightmare of music overplaying the narration and an "Oh sh*t" overdub coming in. :eek: Not working for me!

Anyway, your explanation above is thorough. About what I'd heard, as far as a process that requires patience and a light touch. It really looks gorgeous when done well, and yours is gorgeous. I would imagine that the repetitive nature of the wash/sand/repeat process is enjoyable and calming. I have used rubber cement for masking with hand coloring - works like a charm, and cheap! :)

More pastel practice. I do not do portraits but couldn't resist trying this one.

View attachment 188124
I like it! Playful, colorful, and really catches a spirit of fun with the subject. Love the bold lines over the wash of hair. :icon_thumbsup: I've made some portraits recently, should post them. Like you, they're not my thing - I only enjoy them when I let myself go for the fun spirit, like this one of yours.

More, please!

Hmm, that video was a nightmare of music overplaying the narration and an "Oh sh*t" overdub coming in. :eek: Not working for me!

Anyway, your explanation above is thorough. About what I'd heard, as far as a process that requires patience and a light touch. It really looks gorgeous when done well, and yours is gorgeous. I would imagine that the repetitive nature of the wash/sand/repeat process is enjoyable and calming. I have used rubber cement for masking with hand coloring - works like a charm, and cheap! :)

I don't hear anything other than the artist talking. Maybe you had a pop up playing in the background?

Most reactions

Back