Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

I like the second one. I think the light beams add a little something.

So I want to replace the larger IKEA drawer unit I use for art supplies. I made a big mistake going to look at the Blick furniture section.l; I saw a nice taboret/watercolor station. No retiring this week.

edit - fixed typo

Last edited:
So I want to replace the larger IKEA drawer unit I use for art supplies. I made a big mistake going to look at the furniture section.l; I saw a nice taboret/watercolor station. No retiring this week.

Link please 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Link please 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I definitely need some more storage space. The last time I was able to visit an IKEA store was in Atlanta. Still have a nice glass display unit for our old cameras that we bought there.

Now I want to look at their furniture section, too! Never thought about them for art storage.

I agree, the light beams are a nice horizontal line in the middle of the chaotic water.

I love your wild water! That was probably a blast to paint. :thumbyo:

I couldn’t leave it alone! I’m done now.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Just to fix my typo - the place I went to was Blick's furniture.
I'd love to replace this with this, but it's not happening. Maybe some day I'll try to make one.

Actually the only real issue I have with the Ikea unit is you can't take drawers out without unscrewing them (no quick-release). One squeaks but that just needs a shot of lith grease.

I didn’t realize they sold furniture! I need a new desk for my office before I even think about getting something for art stuff.

I didn’t realize they sold furniture! I need a new desk for my office before I even think about getting something for art stuff.
When I started teleworking during the pandemic, I was looking at Ikea for a new desk & chair. The drawing table was fine but the stool I had wasn't comfortable for more than a couple hours. She told me I needed "grown-up furnitue", so instead of Ikea she got me a sweet variable height desk, matching stationary table (using as a printer stand, at the moment), and a nice mesh chair.

We have some backless (low) bar stools so I'll grab one for the drawing table until I can get something better.

Just to fix my typo - the place I went to was Blick's furniture.
That explains it - I ran a search at IKEA for a watercolor or art station and was only shown kid-sized stuff.

Blick has nice art and storage furniture but dang those prices are high.

The art (non-photo) studio is coming along.
Please ignore the mess - we still have a lot of crap to go through and put away or pitch. It’s still a tile shuffle game. Quick phone snaps so quality is not there.

Left to right:
Oak and oak plywood paper cabinet made by MLW's uncle. He was working in his neighbor's cabinet shop after he retired from the County. I'll keep the 18x24 and larger pieces in there, which is what it was made for. The shelf over it has some of dad's trains. They will stay but probably relocated or at least a better shelf unit.

The white Ikea drawwer unit. It's staying for a while; I might paint the drawer fronts. Pastels, charcoal, smaller (9x12 and less) pads, brushes, palettes, etc.

The drawing table. I need a decent stool but for now I can try and get away with a backless (shorter) bar stool.

The taboret came with the drawing table as a set. Watercolors, drawing pencils, pen and ink. There's an open space underneath for the art box - basically a tackle box for water colors and a few acrylics. I prioginally used one when I was taking classes but will likely use it to "take it on the road" if I plan on doing more than a few quick watercolor studies. Who knows; once I retire I may take some more classes.

The pile beside the taboret has some spill-over from the woodshop, which is just to the right. You can also see the mess On the patio and in the back yard; mostly leaves. The car goes away as soon as the new title shows up.

The interesting stuff on top of the cabinets: my Spyder screen calibrator, a tourist map of Mancheseter Center, VT (look up "Orvis"), some 4"x4" drawings I did in a class (96 views of one object - a bear), a Longerberger Tic-Tac-Toe basket the MLW gave me (from the kids) a number of years ago, and a Washington Capitals hockey puck, from 1975. The pictures on the wall are various train photos. The two on the left, next to the calendar, are a couple charcoal or Conte I did a number of years ago. Of the two, I like the top one. I'll get a better shot of them later.

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

The art (non-photo) studio is coming along.
Please ignore the mess - we still have a lot of crap to go through and put away or pitch. It’s still a tile shuffle game. Quick phone snaps so quality is not there.

Left to right:
Oak and oak plywood paper cabinet made by MLW's uncle. He was working in his neighbor's cabinet shop after he retired from the County. I'll keep the 18x24 and larger pieces in there, which is what it was made for. The shelf over it has some of dad's trains. They will stay but probably relocated or at least a better shelf unit.

The white Ikea drawwer unit. It's staying for a while; I might paint the drawer fronts. Pastels, charcoal, smaller (9x12 and less) pads, brushes, palettes, etc.

The drawing table. I need a decent stool but for now I can try and get away with a backless (shorter) bar stool.

The taboret came with the drawing table as a set. Watercolors, drawing pencils, pen and ink. There's an open space underneath for the art box - basically a tackle box for water colors and a few acrylics. I prioginally used one when I was taking classes but will likely use it to "take it on the road" if I plan on doing more than a few quick watercolor studies. Who knows; once I retire I may take some more classes.

The pile beside the taboret has some spill-over from the woodshop, which is just to the right. You can also see the mess On the patio and in the back yard; mostly leaves. The car goes away as soon as the new title shows up.

The interesting stuff on top of the cabinets: my Spyder screen calibrator, a tourist map of Mancheseter Center, VT (look up "Orvis"), some 4"x4" drawings I did in a class (96 views of one object - a bear), a Longerberger Tic-Tac-Toe basket the MLW gave me (from the kids) a number of years ago, and a Washington Capitals hockey puck, from 1975. The pictures on the wall are various train photos. The two on the left, next to the calendar, are a couple charcoal or Conte I did a number of years ago. Of the two, I like the top one. I'll get a better shot of them later.

View attachment 272176
View attachment 272177
Coming along nicely. I’m jealous of all that space just for arting! What are your plans once all the extra stuff is out of the way? Paint those walls or keep the panels? New light?

Agreed, this is a nice sized room with a huge window - should let in lots of natural light. I'd probably consider swapping out that fluorescent overhead light.

Great looking cabinets and storage - that's an awesome paper cabinet made by your wife's uncle. You must be getting pumped about getting it all into order. You'll have a blast playing in there!

Thank you.

The plan is to swap out the "barnwood" paneling for white beadboard paneling, and replace the ceiling (particalboard with popcorn coating) with tiles. The floor is made up of old linoleum tiles, a nimber of which are broken. I think we're going to pour a layer of leveling cement or epoxy (garage floor); the jury is still out on that one. I helped dad with the barnwood (c. 1978) but it's really darker than I want. As far as lighting, the surface fluorescent lights will be replaced with recessed LEDs.

It will end up being about half of that space - maybe 9 feet. The woodshop takes the other half. The goal is to leave the majority of the room open.

Thank you.

The plan is to swap out the "barnwood" paneling for white beadboard paneling, and replace the ceiling (particalboard with popcorn coating) with tiles. The floor is made up of old linoleum tiles, a nimber of which are broken. I think we're going to pour a layer of leveling cement or epoxy (garage floor); the jury is still out on that one. I helped dad with the barnwood (c. 1978) but it's really darker than I want. As far as lighting, the surface fluorescent lights will be replaced with recessed LEDs.

It will end up being about half of that space - maybe 9 feet. The woodshop takes the other half. The goal is to leave the majority of the room open.
The white beadboard will really make it so much brighter and reflect all that window light. It’s going to be an amazing work space.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back