Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

I’m back to the snowy landscapes. This one is from a tutorial by Ellen Crimi-Trent

View attachment 202259

And this is from a photo on Instagram.
View attachment 202258

I have to say I used the expensive Arches paper on these and it really does make things go so much better and easier to fix mistakes.

Arches makes some nice paper, no doubt. I used to love the Windsor Newton 140# Cold press blocks. This paper has a slight texture and is a beautiful surface for color and light. It is well worth the try. Cheap Joe's Art stuff is probably the best pricing on these but I included the Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAUZI0T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EDB-Fb20FACTQ

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m back to the snowy landscapes. This one is from a tutorial by Ellen Crimi-Trent

View attachment 202259

View attachment 202258

I have to say I used the expensive Arches paper on these and it really does make things go so much better and easier to fix mistakes.

Arches makes some nice paper, no doubt. I used to love the Windsor Newton 140# Cold press blocks. This paper has a slight texture and is a beautiful surface for color and light. It is well worth the try. Cheap Joe's Art stuff is probably the best pricing on these but I included the Amazon link.

Thanks for the tip. I have not tried that one yet. I tried the Arteza cotton 140 cold press and it dries too quickly but I like that it’s 2 sided so was good for practicing on the back of my failures lol. Just not very forgiving. I got a new pad of Arches for Christmas but will give the winsor and Newton a try next time.

View attachment 202259

View attachment 202258

Thanks for the tip. I have not tried that one yet. I tried the Arteza cotton 140 cold press and it dries too quickly but I like that it’s 2 sided so was good for practicing on the back of my failures lol. Just not very forgiving. I got a new pad of Arches for Christmas but will give the winsor and Newton a try next time.

Arteza is a tough paper, you can darn near sand it. I never cared for the luminosity, even with high quality color. The Windsor Newton 140 blocks have greater luminosity and excellent drying levelness. Combined with a high quality pigment, it will make you want to create.

Yes, the 300 gms, 140lb papers will generally appear to dry faster because there is more surface area for the watercolor to get absorbed in. I liked it initially because you could do your thing and take it off before it was dry and on to the next one. Water color is about spontaneity, you drop the color and run. The dry leveling is way different than the beginner, Arteza paper, not close to being in the same league as far as appearance and leveling of pigment.

Beautiful work, Sharon! It looks great.

I don't do watercolor, but have pretty much settled on Arches Oil paper for oil pastels. I used Arches cold and hot-pressed papers when I worked with Polaroid emulsion lifts and transfers- they're strong and lovely.

Not the cheapest but not the most expensive, either. As a hobbiest, part of the journey is finding the balance.

I got a block of Canson cold pressed for Christmas, but haven't opened it, yet.

All y’all are doing some awesome stuff!

For Christmas, I got some watercolor pencils and some alcohol-based markers, both on my wishlist.

Still getting used to the watercolor pencils. They’re definitely so much easier to use. The markers are so much fun; I’ve been seeing people use them a lot on IG. Been wanting to try them for some time.

Jaws and Garfield.

8C821C62-8393-42D2-9D43-4E552BFDEFEE.jpeg

E1A4E2EC-D5F6-4FF0-A503-6D37DCDA18DA.jpeg

Great work, Wade! The Jaws is lined up perfectly, and I just love the bright palette of the Garfield.

Nicely done!

Great work, Wade! The Jaws is lined up perfectly, and I just love the bright palette of the Garfield.

Nicely done!
Thank you!

Here's my latest - I wanted to do another B&W painting, I had fun with it last time. I had a rather famous photo ref for this one. ;)

This is on 12x16" Arches oil paper, my favorite for OP's. I took my Neopastel silver gray stick about down to a nub here. Hard to photograph this one without some glare, but that seems to happen with OP's. I see some smudging to clean up, too.

"Grand piano"

View attachment 201855
Terri, this is fantastic!

I did a self-portrait using procreate for the iPad. I’m not sure how I feel. It’s faster, and easier, to create on the iPad, but it’s a different satisfaction compared to using actual pen, paper, paint, etc. but, it’s so much easier and faster. And, you can undo!

3A77CA59-23CA-4B2C-8D19-9F574F2DA004.jpeg

Well, I think it looks fantastic! Very similar to what an ink portrait would look like, I believe. But yeah, it's digital art, so while the end result is definitely nice, it might not square with that tactile happiness you may get using different medium during your creation. :)

Sure would be easier to pack along for a trip.

I did a self-portrait using procreate for the iPad. I’m not sure how I feel. It’s faster, and easier, to create on the iPad, but it’s a different satisfaction compared to using actual pen, paper, paint, etc. but, it’s so much easier and faster. And, you can undo!

View attachment 202523

I have heard a lot about that app. Haven’t tried it yet. I think I need to stop jumping around from one thing to another. I’ll blame it on pandemic boredom syndrome. I have yet to finish/master anything lol.

Painted this earlier today inspired by a painting I was thinking of buying for over our fireplace. I plan to give this one another try but for a first attempt I really like it. I added some highlights in silver metallic which I’m not sure I would do again. Tried to take a few angled shots so you can see the glimmer. Adding these photos look much better on my phone than in the TPF forum. The white looks a bit yellow here. Probably the lighting.

AD799B2E-6420-4D35-816F-1579DE28BE01.jpeg
E751AABB-DA6B-4905-8EA6-243A2BB4BD40.jpeg
187A301B-AC87-4B38-8CFE-E7F064908C69.jpeg

Most reactions

Back