Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Well, I think it looks fantastic! Very similar to what an ink portrait would look like, I believe. But yeah, it's digital art, so while the end result is definitely nice, it might not square with that tactile happiness you may get using different medium during your creation. :)

Sure would be easier to pack along for a trip.
Thank you! Yes, your point on “tactile happiness” is so true. I don’t feel “connected” to the art like I do when I see ink flowing from a marker or paint coming off the brush. Using it doesn’t require patience. I guess it’s similar to using film vs. digital cameras. I can kind of get the same look, but learning through physical mistakes helps me along faster.

I did a self-portrait using procreate for the iPad. I’m not sure how I feel. It’s faster, and easier, to create on the iPad, but it’s a different satisfaction compared to using actual pen, paper, paint, etc. but, it’s so much easier and faster. And, you can undo!

View attachment 202523

I have heard a lot about that app. Haven’t tried it yet. I think I need to stop jumping around from one thing to another. I’ll blame it on pandemic boredom syndrome. I have yet to finish/master anything lol.

Not finishing/mastering anything yet.. jeez, do I hear that. If you figure out how, please let me know, too.

Definitely give the app a try. Since you’re used to using a digital pen, you’ll probably take to it faster than those that don’t. At least that’s how I felt, since I have a Wacom board for photo editing. The app itself took me a bit to get used to, but I’m finally starting to find my groove.

I love that I can add layers AFTER. So often I forget to do that upfront. I also love that I can add layers for literally everything, because OCD. So, for my self-portrait, I had a layer for my hair, my eyes, my nose, my mouth, etc. Then, I could work on them all independently without fear of messing up any of the other ones. Definitely helpful. I want to start looking into other brushes, and possibly creating my own. But, that’ll come with time.

Well, I think it looks fantastic! Very similar to what an ink portrait would look like, I believe. But yeah, it's digital art, so while the end result is definitely nice, it might not square with that tactile happiness you may get using different medium during your creation. :)

Thank you! Yes, your point on “tactile happiness” is so true. I don’t feel “connected” to the art like I do when I see ink flowing from a marker or paint coming off the brush. Using it doesn’t require patience. I guess it’s similar to using film vs. digital cameras. I can kind of get the same look, but learning through physical mistakes helps me along faster.

I did a self-portrait using procreate for the iPad. I’m not sure how I feel. It’s faster, and easier, to create on the iPad, but it’s a different satisfaction compared to using actual pen, paper, paint, etc. but, it’s so much easier and faster. And, you can undo!

View attachment 202523

I have heard a lot about that app. Haven’t tried it yet. I think I need to stop jumping around from one thing to another. I’ll blame it on pandemic boredom syndrome. I have yet to finish/master anything lol.

Not finishing/mastering anything yet.. jeez, do I hear that. If you figure out how, please let me know, too.

Definitely give the app a try. Since you’re used to using a digital pen, you’ll probably take to it faster than those that don’t. At least that’s how I felt, since I have a Wacom board for photo editing. The app itself took me a bit to get used to, but I’m finally starting to find my groove.

I love that I can add layers AFTER. So often I forget to do that upfront. I also love that I can add layers for literally everything, because OCD. So, for my self-portrait, I had a layer for my hair, my eyes, my nose, my mouth, etc. Then, I could work on them all independently without fear of messing up any of the other ones. Definitely helpful. I want to start looking into other brushes, and possibly creating my own. But, that’ll come with time.

Sadly I rarely use the ipen. And now that I’ve moved my photo editing to the MacBook my poor iPad is used only for social media surfing, reading the paper, crossword puzzles and Woodoku!

Thought you all might appreciate this art joke.

07F6B7F3-946E-4B49-9A13-98D9C6C4F484.jpeg

They have the same problem with Sienna.

This weekends entertainment. Used the gold metallics. I really prefer the blue/grey palette to this one.

5897AEC5-FDE7-42F8-A84E-EEA6219BA24E.jpeg

Oh, I don't know - this is very pretty! Blue/gray definitely suits a cold subject, true. I just love finding ways to get metallics in, don't you? :) This gold sheen is awesome!

View attachment 202523

Sadly I rarely use the ipen. And now that I’ve moved my photo editing to the MacBook my poor iPad is used only for social media surfing, reading the paper, crossword puzzles and Woodoku!
Pick it back up when you have some spare time and try it out. I’ve really enjoyed using it.

I’ve really been liking these markers. Getting better at blending and reducing streaks when doing large areas.

I’ve decided to take an entire book and draw pictures of my daughter’s favorite characters. Did Calliou and Peppa Pig yesterday. Today was Pete the Cat.

280FB531-2E19-45B9-8DDB-970F7F28348A.jpeg

In case you’ve never seen the image, the blues going outside the lines and by the shoes was on purpose, haha.

That's such a cute idea! I'm sure your daughter loves these!

Really like this one, terrific colors. Going deliberately outside the lines gives it a looseness that is very appealing. Good one!

Oh, I don't know - this is very pretty! Blue/gray definitely suits a cold subject, true. I just love finding ways to get metallics in, don't you? :) This gold sheen is awesome!

Thanks!

View attachment 202523

Pick it back up when you have some spare time and try it out. I’ve really enjoyed using it.

You have inspired me to try the pen again. I’ll charge it up as soon as I remember where I put it!

This weekends entertainment. Used the gold metallics. I really prefer the blue/grey palette to this one.

View attachment 202738
Gorgeous!

Thank you. I’m still not loving the warmer colors. I’m going back to the blues and greens for a while.

I’ve really been liking these markers. Getting better at blending and reducing streaks when doing large areas.

I’ve decided to take an entire book and draw pictures of my daughter’s favorite characters. Did Calliou and Peppa Pig yesterday. Today was Pete the Cat.

View attachment 202772

In case you’ve never seen the image, the blues going outside the lines and by the shoes was on purpose, haha.

Very cool! Eek Calliou the most whiny child on tv.

Thanks!

View attachment 202523

You have inspired me to try the pen again. I’ll charge it up as soon as I remember where I put it!

View attachment 202738
Gorgeous!

Thank you. I’m still not loving the warmer colors. I’m going back to the blues and greens for a while.

View attachment 202772

Very cool! Eek Calliou the most whiny child on tv.
I had to buy a case with a pen slot, because I kept losing mine, too! LMAO, Calliou is so freaking annoying, but daughter loves it. Ugh.

I like the warmers colors in it, especially the gold throughout! Very nice. But, I hear you with wanting to get back to blues/greens. They can be very pleasing.

A new one, just for fun - I decided to try my hand at van Gogh's Giant Peacock Moth. I just loved the palette. I exaggerated it here. It gave me an excuse to break out my Sennelier iridescent oil pastels for the wings (they throw a lot of glare when photographing, but you get the idea). I mainly used Mungyo Gallery and Neopastel oil pastels, plus some regular Senns - lots of layering.

van Gogh Great peacock  moth final.jpg

It was fun to do! :)

Here are some recent ones that I never got around to posting here.

This first one was from a challenge to "modernize" a famous painting that you feel strongly about, either positively or negatively. After flipping through some art books and going online, I discovered I detest this iconic American painting, American Gothic by Grant Wood, c. 1930. The man's assertive gaze is contrasted by the averted gaze and vaguely troubled countenance of the woman. Wood meant for the viewer to know this was supposed to be the man's daughter, though I've also seen her referred to as his wife. Either way, she stands behind him and stares at the back of his head. Slap him silly! :lol:

I changed everything to bring it to modern day. I could never paint with Wood's stylized realism; he's terrific. So I stuck with a "folk art" approach that doesn't ask much from the artist. It was important to me to reverse the stances; the hubby here is a step behind his wife. It was also important to have a person of color in this modernized couple, and she was easier for me to sketch, frankly.

Instead of the barn with the actual Carpenter's Gothic window behind them, I envisioned these two doing typical 21st century couples' stuff: a Saturday run to the local WalMart. The logo and store design suited the background, and I gave the hubby a rake, and the wife a near-hero's stance.

I'm kind of sad I couldn't execute this one better, because I like my concept. :icon_mrgreen: Oh well.

American Gothic, Redux:

Am Gothic redo, cropped.jpg

Another one I came across (I put them all aside to eventually spray with a UV matte finish, and sometimes forget about them), was my attempt to play with a Picasso-inspired dual-face. Kind of a profile, kind of not, and any palette suits. I also liked practicing with the flowers. Just playin'.

These were both on my fave paper, Arches Oil paper, 12x16". Mungyo Gallery and Neopastel oil pastels.

Girl with Flowers 1.jpg

Walmrt - I love it! Though I think an Amazon truck would be more appropriate for 2020.

Most reactions

Back