Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

(fixed the photos - I had an extra)

Also, I'll apologize - this was a quick three-minute drill.

Thanks for this, Charlie! It's very helpful.

Trying to think about the brush sizes I found. One is really tiny, maybe a 2? They're both pretty cheap. I want to go get a small set of brushes good for watercolor so I can have some variety, and try some of this. :)

Just like you don't need to cover every focal length, you can get by with a few brushes (and colors). For paints, pick a couple rounds, a couple flats and a mop. For the pencils, you could probably stick with the rounds.

Left to right: #4 round, #8 round, #10 flat, 1/2" flat. Alla re short-handles WC brushes, sythetic sable, store-brand; not very expensive. Tne top is #6 Grumbacher - the main one I used for pencils. Eventually I'll get better brushes but these (mostly) work for now.

Smaller (#2, riggers) are good for fine details, but I rarely use mine. I don't have a proiper mop (for laying down a lot of water) but have tried a makeup blush brush with mixed results. I'll pick up a mop the next time I get to the store.

IMG_0421[1].JPG

This is very educational for me! The little brushes I have (though I'm fairly certain there are more like these, still packed) are tiny - 000, 2 and a 3. They aren't sable, synthetic or otherwise - they're Loew-Cornell "golden nylon," whatever that is. With these pencils (and especially doing this particular little demo with the fine lines) they worked all right, as far as holding enough water to get the paint fluid. I just struggled to get any typical sweeps, or whatever you call it - like it usually seen with watercolors.

I've never heard of what you're calling a mop brush. If it's for laying down lots of water, not likely I would have picked one up since I don't do watercolor.

The pencils were fun! Easier for me to use and handle. I really doubt I'll ever try WC paints, as in the pans. But who knows? ;)

Thanks for showing me these brushes, Charlie!

I originally balked at spending any money in brushes but it makes all the difference. The good ones hold a lot of water and paint and they really hold their shape making everything so much easier. I bought these and love them:

These are great for detail work but I don’t use them as often:

I order from Amazon - I find the Blick and Jerry’s websites to be so confusing.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Mop (one variety)

The 1/2" flat is a Loew-Cornell; not sure of it's a golden nylon. They are an entry-level / student brand. I haven't bought any top-level brushed, only some paints.

We are finishing up emptying the apartment and these were hiding in the closet. i don’t recall exact dates but I’d say about 1978 or 1979 for the miner, and 1977 for the firefighters and the landscape. The first was an ice breaker or opening prop for a speech class, the other two from an oil painting class. All three are oil; 18x24 for the smaller two, maybe 20x30 for the first one.

8DC3E772-AB34-46B2-A8FC-BA246E139FAF.jpeg

Fantastic!!! Love the landscape especially but all are just wonderful. My compliments to the chef!

Wow!!! These are wonderful! I love each of them - they're all so stylized, so unique. I have thought of your media as mostly watercolor and ink - now here are these exceptional oils on canvas. I am really taken with the landscape and the miner in particular.

What made you move away from oils? You're really good with them! Happy you posted these!

So, I broke my own rule about NOT breaking out the oil pastels while temporarily staying at my mom's condo. I guess it was only a matter of time.

After watching my two cats napping by the large sliding glass door here, I started thinking about their dreams, watching those little paws twitching occasionally.

Their personalities could not be more different. Bex is a lover, not a fighter. Finn considers herself a mighty huntress. Hint: they're both a couple of big babies. ;)

Anyway - the outcome of watching them sleep and pondering their dreams was a graphite sketch, which turned into: Cat Nap(s)! 12x16" Arches Oil paper, using a grab bag of OP's: Neopastel, Mungyo Gallery Soft, and Sennelier, all pulled randomly from a box marked ART SUPPLIES - KEEP CLOSE. :icon_scratch: Not really sure what I meant there.

Cat nap(s):

Cat nap(s).jpg

I did manage to drop one Senns on the carpet and smashed it by stepping full on it. Much clean-up involved, and this was why I told myself NOT to break the damn things out - they're messy!! All re-packed and ready to go now.

I did this one faster than I usually work, and it's still in need of some tidying up. Thanks for looking!

So, I broke my own rule about NOT breaking out the oil pastels while temporarily staying at my mom's condo. I guess it was only a matter of time.

After watching my two cats napping by the large sliding glass door here, I started thinking about their dreams, watching those little paws twitching occasionally.

Their personalities could not be more different. Bex is a lover, not a fighter. Finn considers herself a mighty huntress. Hint: they're both a couple of big babies. ;)

Anyway - the outcome of watching them sleep and pondering their dreams was a graphite sketch, which turned into: Cat Nap(s)! 12x16" Arches Oil paper, using a grab bag of OP's: Neopastel, Mungyo Gallery Soft, and Sennelier, all pulled randomly from a box marked ART SUPPLIES - KEEP CLOSE. :icon_scratch: Not really sure what I meant there.

Cat nap(s):

View attachment 259722

I did manage to drop one Senns on the carpet and smashed it by stepping full on it. Much clean-up involved, and this was why I told myself NOT to break the damn things out - they're messy!! All re-packed and ready to go now.

I did this one faster than I usually work, and it's still in need of some tidying up. Thanks for looking!
Love the concept and results!

Love them. I started moving the art supply cabinets to the basement but I'm not ready to start painting, yet. The office space is livable, but nothing else down there. I've decided to dismantle the trains, and put up a smaller "bookshelf" layout, later. Ada (fav. SIL) gave me a table saw for Christmas (she gave us our presents Saturday) so the "train area" will become the workshop & art studio. I'll probably put up a wall once we get everything cleaned out.

Thanks, Bear! I love the idea of you being able to have yourself an actual art studio to work in! I know that space is always a problem for a lot of us. Take some pictures once you get going!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back