Pentax *ist DL2?

Don Simon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I posted here a few days ago but it was basically just a random collection of questions and complaints, so I'll try to make more sense this time...

Having decided to get a DSLR I've now narrowed it down to three choices: a Canon 20D if I can get one cheap, a KM Dynax 5D, or a Pentax. I'd prefer to get a Pentax since most of my lenses are Pentax K-mount, and I see that Jessops now sell the *ist DL2 for £350 including lens. However that makes me immediately suspicious - why would a brand new DSLR sell for that price if it was any good? Also from what I've read the DL2 was not originally designed for release in the US or Europe, which again makes me wonder why. Finally, I've Googled but can't find any actual reviews of this camera anywhere. All of which makes me wonder whether Jessops and other companies are trying to get rid of their DL2s before people realise they're not very good. Of course I'd like to be wrong about that because I like Pentax.

So basically my question is this: does anyone have or has anyone tried a DL2? I've played about with one in the shops, but that doesn't really give me a good idea. How does the image quality compare with the competition (especially at high ISO levels)? Does the lack of ISO levels lower than 200 bother you? And what's the camera like focussing and shooting with manual lenses? Any information at all on the DL2 would be great. Thanks!

While I know nothing about the DL2, I found out directly from Pentax that they're coming out with a 10MP DSLR in the fall. Perhaps prices are falling due to that upcoming release. Just a speculation here...

Mitica100 said:
While I know nothing about the DL2, I found out directly from Pentax that they're coming out with a 10MP DSLR in the fall. Perhaps prices are falling due to that upcoming release. Just a speculation here...

A 10mp that has antishake in the body. They are calling it the K100.

albapete said:
A 10mp that has antishake in the body. They are calling it the K100.

No, the K100 is actually called K100D and it's only 6MP, a slimmed down version of the *ist DL with the added anti-shake. They're coming out with a 10MP DSLR, as far as I've been told.

Oh by the way, don't forget to introduce yourself in the proper thread and let me be the first one to welcome you aboard. Enjoy the forum.

Thanks, but Steve has reviewed the D, DL, DS, and DS2, not the DL2. From what I can see the DL2 is a cut-down version of the DS2, though since there are no reviews of it anywhere I don't know if it's any good (the best I can do is look at reviews for the other cameras and then guess). The fact that there are no reviews for it, the fact that it was not originally intended for release in Europe and the US and the fact that it's being sold for well below the price of older models of a similar spec, all make me a bit dubious.

Let's hope the new 10MP to be revealed in the fall will have an ISO of 100 as well. No Pentax DSLR camera has anything lower than ISO 200.

Yes I'm hoping for ISO 100 too. Maybe even 50 to make up for that 200 business. Since I'm not overly enthusiastic about any of the *ist range I'll wait for the 10mp model. And if that's as disappointing as the current ones then all my old Pentax gear will be going on Ebay so I can buy a Canon :grumpy:.

ZaphodB said:
Yes I'm hoping for ISO 100 too. Maybe even 50 to make up for that 200 business. Since I'm not overly enthusiastic about any of the *ist range I'll wait for the 10mp model. And if that's as disappointing as the current ones then all my old Pentax gear will be going on Ebay so I can buy a Canon :grumpy:.

Whats your id on ebay? Ill be sure to keep an eye out for your Pentax equipment.:mrgreen:

I thought about selling my Pentax gear on ebay before I made the jump to digital. Unfortunately, I couldnt part with it for the small amounts bid. I would have gone Nikon if it sold well.

I have the *ist DS and I like it very much. The DL and the DL2, to the best of my knowledge are just like the DS, but with a few fewer features and a penta-mirror instead of a penta-prism. The DL2 has a larger LCD, like the DS2.

I went through a great deal of soul-searching before choosing the *ist DS, just over a year ago. I have 7,000 shutter activations on my *ist DS. If I can help you, let me know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back