pentax k1000 vs canon ae-1

lkk99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi everyone!
im a first time film camera buyer, and i have almost little to no practice with manual mode aside from toying around with manual mode a little on my mirrorless camera
i am looking to buy a pentax k1000 for around 130 euros, possibly a little more for shipping, as i have heard it is the best camera for students, however i am still waiting for the seller's confirmation that it is fully functioning
on my way home i saw a canon ae-1 that was selling at a photography store,
canon ae-1 with a 28mm f 1:2,8 lens = 140 euros, and one with a 50 mm f 1:1,8 lens for 120 euros.
the price isn't too significant for me right now, so aside from the price
overall, what camera would be the better choice for me? primarily the types of photos i will be taking are will mostly just be street shots, shots of my friends, etc.
thanks

What lens does the Pentax come with?

Wow--- very high prices for very old film cameras. I would rather have the Pentax, based on build quality and feel in the hand. Neither are very good compared to a newer, higher grade film camera. Here, a used Nikon F100 is 125 EUR with lens, and newer by 25 years or more. Canon's lens mount in MF is a "dead" mount: Pentax, Nikon, still "alive".

Still kind of high priced.

Wow--- very high prices for very old film cameras. I would rather have the Pentax, based on build quality and feel in the hand. Neither are very good compared to a newer, higher grade film camera. Here, a used Nikon F100 is 125 EUR with lens, and newer by 25 years or more. Canon's lens mount in MF is a "dead" mount: Pentax, Nikon, still "alive".

yep, sadly the prices for the old film cameras over here in italy are so expensive, ive looked at the numerous photo shops and they're almost twice the price of the same ones in the us on ebay. however due to a lot of complications regarding shipping to here (the italian system is a huge pain to deal with and they seize all the items coming from overseas to go through them and the whole process takes a VERY long time talking 2 months or so and theres a chance it could not even get in my hands, as i have heard that was the case for many other expats :confusion:

Still kind of high priced.
i know! it really sucks, like i was saying to Derrel, i don't know why but italy is very over priced when it comes to these old film cameras :/

I prefer the K1000 over the AE-1 in terms of manual usage ... and the K1000 has a mechanical shutter vs the electronic shutter of the Canon ... and I never like the meter visualization of the Canon.

Hmm, I wonder if it would be cheaper to get someone in US to buy a camera and ship it to you ... depends on import/duty charges you have to pay.

K-1000

Both the AE1 and K1000 were very popular in their day but many of the AE-1s I find these days are dead and since they have electronically tripped shutters, they are useless unless repaired. The K1000s, however, are all mechanical and still usually working when I come across them. The K1000 was always the student camera of choice due to its simplicity and manual nature.

Long story short: The Canon requires a battery to function. The Pentax only needs it for the meter. Take the battery out, and you can still shoot. You just have to learn how to measure light with your eyes and brain.

Hmm, I wonder if it would be cheaper to get someone in US to buy a camera and ship it to you ... depends on import/duty charges you have to pay.
i was thinking of that as well but with the cost of the camera + the shipping + the tax i will have to pay when it comes to italian customs i think it'll roughly be around the same, or slightly higher :ambivalence:

Long story short: The Canon requires a battery to function. The Pentax only needs it for the meter. Take the battery out, and you can still shoot. You just have to learn how to measure light with your eyes and brain.
yeah, the k1000 seems really great for those aspects, i think it'll get me right down to learning all the basics and will be really helpful for the future! also the no battery thing is awesome :1219:

Most reactions

Back