Photo bag stolen from car

You metioned that your in a gated community. I'd have to think that it's probably someone close by to you that saw you putting your gear in and out of your car and KNEW it was in there. I doubt that it was random unless other vehicles in your complex have been broken into also. I'd have to say look close to home to find the culprit. I'm betting he's closer then you think.
On the more obvious note, unless you've just got money to waste and really dont care, then leaving $5000 worth of anything in a vehicle is just a bad idea.
If i'm out shooting and i have to run into a store, the camera bag and laptop bag come with me ALL the time. Just too risky to have it walk away in an instant. And as far as locking the doors on your vehicle, that is a complete waste of time. just ask a locksmith how fast they can get your door open when you lock your keys in it. I know, i had it happen to me and before i walked out of my house to go meet the guy, he had my keys in his hand. Locks are for honest people. If a thief wants in, it's just a minor inconvenience at best.
I'm sure you've learned from this and we are all very sorry to hear you lost so much, but the bottom line is, unless your willing to lose it, dont ever take your eyes off of it.

yeah, ill never be careless again. whats the point of locking ur car if they can just bust the window in, other than to hope the alarm scares them off, which it did, but not enough to keep them from getting my bag.

You metioned that your in a gated community. I'd have to think that it's probably someone close by to you that saw you putting your gear in and out of your car and KNEW it was in there. I doubt that it was random unless other vehicles in your complex have been broken into also. I'd have to say look close to home to find the culprit. I'm betting he's closer then you think.
On the more obvious note, unless you've just got money to waste and really dont care, then leaving $5000 worth of anything in a vehicle is just a bad idea.
If i'm out shooting and i have to run into a store, the camera bag and laptop bag come with me ALL the time. Just too risky to have it walk away in an instant. And as far as locking the doors on your vehicle, that is a complete waste of time. just ask a locksmith how fast they can get your door open when you lock your keys in it. I know, i had it happen to me and before i walked out of my house to go meet the guy, he had my keys in his hand. Locks are for honest people. If a thief wants in, it's just a minor inconvenience at best.
I'm sure you've learned from this and we are all very sorry to hear you lost so much, but the bottom line is, unless your willing to lose it, dont ever take your eyes off of it.

yeah, ill never be careless again. whats the point of locking ur car if they can just bust the window in, other than to hope the alarm scares them off, which it did, but not enough to keep them from getting my bag.

Exactly! Locked or not, they will get your stuff if they want to. The different is now you may need to spend money on the glass as well, which is another bummer :(

Wow.... that sucks horribly. Yeah, definitely keep a look out for someone selling them--pawn shops-- people walking around with your equipment-- probably wont be in the newspaper.
Chances are some tweeker is gonna sell it for money or something, and wont be bringing a lot of attention to them-self.

I had a $400 Pool cue i bought for my hubby stolen from out of my car ( at the bar) a few years back.. and i check around.. months and months later.. was sure it was gone so i just sucked it up. But sure enough the idiots who stole it were in the same bar it was stolen from.. playing pool with it ( guess they though after all that time they were in the safe zone.) Busted.

So yeah... maybe youll luck out and spot someone flashing around some nice gear--and you can confiscate it. Make sure you report it all though, if you havnt already..

Hope you get it all back :(

If you have auto insurance sometimes they will cover it, since it was stolen from your car. Does your gated community have security cameras, might want to check into that?

do you own or rent your home? if you have homeowner's insurance, you can claim it... thats what I did when $3k worth of audio equipment was stolen out of my car.

the alarm is only a warning for you regardless bc most ppl ignore it when they hear it... what i would suggest is a 2 way alarm that will tell the remote to sound off whenever the alarm is triggered, that would help. I use one that emits a signal up to 1.5miles away so i know when my alarm is going off.

but again, if you have homeowners insurance, check with them as you most likely can claim it or to if you are in an apt complex, see if they have some sort of coverage.

As mentioned before it could have been someone you know. Try to keep it on the DL amongst "friends" and ask around to see if you can get your hands on a used 5d ;) (by that i mean yours)

Which window was busted in? Most criminals bust the drivers side door. If it were any other it could have been personal or someones first time doing so. Im not speaking from experience :p

If you have auto insurance sometimes they will cover it, since it was stolen from your car. Does your gated community have security cameras, might want to check into that?

i called. its not covered. getting 25k in renters insurance coverage now for $13.50/month.

some cameras on one of the houses, but not pointed where my car was.

do you own or rent your home? if you have homeowner's insurance, you can claim it... thats what I did when $3k worth of audio equipment was stolen out of my car.

the alarm is only a warning for you regardless bc most ppl ignore it when they hear it... what i would suggest is a 2 way alarm that will tell the remote to sound off whenever the alarm is triggered, that would help. I use one that emits a signal up to 1.5miles away so i know when my alarm is going off.

but again, if you have homeowners insurance, check with them as you most likely can claim it or to if you are in an apt complex, see if they have some sort of coverage.

i do have a alarm pager. it woke me up at like 4am, and i ran outside, but it was too late. gone.

i doubt my insurance covers it. that would probably fall under renters insurance or something. im so freakin bummed out. took me forever to get all that stuff and i JUST got the 5D like 2 months ago.
Are you the guy that dropped your camera in water...

I have a floater policy on my camera stuff..

:hugs:

i doubt my insurance covers it. that would probably fall under renters insurance or something. im so freakin bummed out. took me forever to get all that stuff and i JUST got the 5D like 2 months ago.
Are you the guy that dropped your camera in water...

I have a floater policy on my camera stuff..

:hugs:

yes, i am. i apparently have the worst luck in the world when it comes to cameras.

Most reactions

Back