Photo Club Meetings With Zoom - things to do?

AlanKlein

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I live in a 55+ senior community. We have a photo club. We had our first club meeting since the virus via Zoom. It went pretty well. Everyone had submitted a couple of photos prior to the meeting. The chairman displayed them in Zoom and we each had a chance to discuss and make recommendations.

Anyone else doing anything along that line? What things do you do on Zoom or other similar programs? I'm looking for ideas for ours.

Never used it.

My local makes fun of me for using film...

Is anyone in the group willing and capable of giving a talk or lesson in something? They could show some examples of lighting with behind the scenes photos of the set up or screen share an editing technique they like to use or show how to mat and frame.

My local photo club has been doing challenges and sharing the photos in the Facebook group.

Or you could use the zoom meeting to plan future outings.

An alternative to zoom is a socially distanced, masked up, photo walk somewhere with a lot of open space.

My club held 2 in person meetings this year, then went to zoom. The first zoom meeting went OK, but the second one was hijacked by a little foul mouth dweeb. We haven't had a meeting since.

I don't know about that group JC... I'd expect a photo club to be open to film, digital, Polaroid, alt. processes... if not then I don't know what kind of photo group that would be but it wouldn't be for me!

I've done a Zoom, and a Google meeting (and another I can't remember the name of), for courses/workshops (one day, a couple of weeks, or monthly). Even for a club meeting, Strodav, whoever's in charge/running it should have the ability to close a participants mic (I think). (And it sounds like the person in charge may need to talk to the person, and if the behavior continues next time, cut their mic or if it still continues, just not let them even join the meeting.)

Alan I participate in a weekly webcast on YouTube that's only interactive for viewers thru chat, but the person running it can have a guest or cohost or all three of them onscreen, or just one at a time. They've often had on a guest and part of the time showed a slide show of the person's work while they were discussing it. I find it harder to see it if they just hold it up, but it's do-able. Maybe you could feature different club members to share and show their work to discuss. Maybe they could invite a local photographer to come on virtually to share/discuss. Or discuss works of a famous photographer.

I've participated in them with 6-10 people, and I don't know how many you could do onscreen at once before it'd get wacky! lol I found sometimes more than one person starts to talk at once because you can't always tell that someone else is starting to ask a question (which can happen in person at a meeting anyway).

Probably depends on policies where you live what you can do. Where my mom (who's elderly) lives, nobody in, nobody out! Friend who lives in a 55+ apartment has to wear a mask to get the mail or use the elevator, otherwise no social activities (but they can talk from their porch/patio!)

My club held 2 in person meetings this year, then went to zoom. The first zoom meeting went OK, but the second one was hijacked by a little foul mouth dweeb. We haven't had a meeting since.

My Club have had a few of them now and man o man are they dull affair. I could imagine the looks on all the insult-able classes in my group.

Sounds like a great time to let guests from around the world see what your club is all about.

I hosted some family meetings, first on Zoom, and then on Google Meet. Zoom was changing their rules, so I switched. My siblings were generally happy to join the meetings, and I showed them my progress in generating a family tree.

I think the problem is if the Zoom link is made public too far in advance, people with nothing better to do will join just to be a nuisance.

If you set up a secure group on something like WhatsApp, or an email group, arrange the time and agenda, but only circulate the link a few minutes before the call time, you should be OK.

Also try Microsoft Teams for better security.

I think a Video Conference photo club meeting is a great idea - perhaps we could try one?

I think the problem is if the Zoom link is made public too far in advance, people with nothing better to do will join just to be a nuisance.

If you set up a secure group on something like WhatsApp, or an email group, arrange the time and agenda, but only circulate the link a few minutes before the call time, you should be OK.

I think a Video Conference photo club meeting is a great idea - perhaps we could try one?

I'm pretty proficient in Zoom and have an account from my school. If anyone is interested in having a show and tell, show one photo and tell the story, let me know.

A small group of us had a fun zoom meet up during the early days of the stay at home orders. It wasn’t photography related though. It was an art meet up where we each did our own version of the same famous painting. It was a lot of fun and great to “meet” people face to face.

The zoom leader can mute the microphones individually or for all then allow one person to speak at a time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back