Photo sessions...am i messing up already?

I read a lot before I posted this, so I knew what to expect from those who may not agree. I enjoy all the feedback. Thank you Scuba for having my back. I'm 36, and I started really wanting to take good pictures when my first son was born 8 years ago. I think that's a big difference between some people starting out. They may think its an easy money maker, just pick up the camera and sell...but you have to feel it in your heart, and want to always do your best for everyone, and that is me. I really feel it, and since I have that fire in me,I have to start somewhere.
My 5 sessions coming up are for families in my moms group. I'm helping them out by giving them a nice christmas card photo, and they're throwing me some money for my time. Its like someone hiring a lawn guy, or a house painter... being paid for my time and hopefully be recommended to more people. Dont I have to "prove myself" before I start charging a premium? I live in a small town 40 minutes from savannah. My competition is a girl on facebook selling $10 mini sessions including a few prints, and a disc! Now thats crazy!! The next one has a $49 package that includes several prints, and a disc for sharing. My CODB is not much really...a gallon of gas, the cost of a blank disc, and my time.
So, when I start to pick back up in spring, do you all recommend doing prints only? Go somewhere like zenfolio? the business license will come soon, i know i need to do that.
Oh yeah, and i have a degree in business from UF, though agribusiness, and i cant remember a darn thing i learned.
Thank you, I enjoy this.... and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

im sorry, but your assessment of your CODB is inaccurate. at least to what it SHOULD be.
when my wife goes to do any photography job, she has to account for wear and tear on equipment, her time, gas, the taxes we pay on that income (on EVERY amount we earn), the liability and equipment insurance we pay..etc etc. and all that is taken out BEFORE we can even calculate profit on a job. EVERY job you get paid for should have a contract. no exceptions.
as soon as you start taking money for work, you should have a Tax ID for when you file your business taxes. liability insurance isn't a state requirement (in florida anyway), but it should be YOUR requirement. as a professional photographer (and thats what you become when you get paid for it) your liability when on site or working becomes MUCH different than if you were just somewhere as a friend with a camera snapping photos.
as silly as this all seems to a lot of people that just want to use their camera to make some extra side money, make your business legal and protect yourself both tax wise, and liability wise before you get too far with it. At the point where you find out you REALLY NEED those things, it will be too late.

$50 divided by 3 hours = $16.67 per hour. That doesn't include the cost of the disc of images.
Don't forget to include time you spend with the customer pre and post shoot.

Out of that $16.67 you have to pay all of your non-reimbursed business expenses, cost of goods sold, and your salary:
Wear and tear your camera gear
Insurance for your car.
Wear and tear on your car.
Gas for the car
Business liability, indemnity and/or E&O insurance.
Legal and accounting services.
Phone expenses.
Computer & Internet access
Software
Postage
Taxes and licenses
Advertising and promotion
Professional development
Other utilities
Etc.

In short, you're likely making a bit above minimum wage, if that. You may be indirectly paying customers to let you shoot photos for them.

(YOUR SALARY + YOUR BUSINESS EXPENSES) ÷ SHOOT DAYS PER YEAR = DAILY CODB

https://www.nppa.org/calculator

Last edited:
Is there sales tax in GA? You'll need to charge that on every single job unless they're tax exempt with the proper paperwork that you MUST keep on file for when the state wants their money. There's a lot to take care of before you're legally operating as a business, and I hope you don't get caught up in legal issues before you legalize your business.

This seems the attitude of late I'll get to it eventually.......gah. Before I started charging I did all the necessary foot work got all the permits before worrying about prices. Business license is not somthing you put on the side burner and get back too... As for your cost of business you have grossly miss calculated your costs at gass and time. Seems to me you miss calculated your time as well. Three hours is not enough to cover shooting, travel, editing and client consultation. I would say your losing money at $50. Oh add in your Dba and fees for your website on top of the list mentioned by previous members.

...I have to start somewhere.
Yes you do, BUT you're starting from a position of disadvantage. You DO NOT want these people recommending you. Why? Because they're going to tell people what they got for ONLY $50! When you try and raise prices to a more realistic level, you're going to get HUGE customer push-back. The best recommendation you can get from any customer is, "Wow, he's expensive, but I'm so glad I went, it was worth every penny!"

...Its like someone hiring a lawn guy, or a house painter... being paid for my time and hopefully be recommended to more people. Dont I have to "prove myself" before I start charging a premium?
Perhaps, but you're nowhere near charging a premium. What you need to do is be able to produce a quality product BEFORE you go into business so that people are recommending YOU and YOUR WORK.

I live in a small town 40 minutes from savannah. My competition is a girl on facebook selling $10 mini sessions including a few prints, and a disc! Now thats crazy!! The next one has a $49 package that includes several prints, and a disc for sharing.
These people are no one's competition.

My CODB is not much really...a gallon of gas, the cost of a blank disc, and my time.
I don't think you have a clue what your CODB is right now.

So, when I start to pick back up in spring, do you all recommend doing prints only? Go somewhere like zenfolio?
While many here may strongly disagree, I am confirmly convinced that the 'digital only' model is a valid one, out of necessity, for many family photographers. The simple fact is that many (most?) people only use photographs in electronic format and have no need or interest in physical prints any more. Yes, I can try and sell prints (for which there's a good mark-up) or, I can save the time and money and do more sessions selling digital files.

the business license will come soon, i know i need to do that.
If you're taking money, that's the FIRST thing, NOT the last thing. If you're doing work for family and friends, consider doing it in trade (free meals are always good).

You'll 'get yourself out there' as a cheap photographer who works for virtually nothing.

This is a terrible terrible mistake.

Could not agree more $50 is a joke

This seems the attitude of late I'll get to it eventually.......gah. Before I started charging I did all the necessary foot work got all the permits before worrying about prices. Business license is not somthing you put on the side burner and get back too... As for your cost of business you have grossly miss calculated your costs at gass and time. Seems to me you miss calculated your time as well. Three hours is not enough to cover shooting, travel, editing and client consultation. I would say your losing money at $50. Oh add in your Dba and fees for your website on top of the list mentioned by previous members.

I wanted to make sure I can do great work for other people before jumping into making it all legal. So my mistake is charging while I'm learning? I've been a stay at home mom for 8 years, and im actually happy to be paid for something finally! If these clients this weekend really dig my work, then I'll have the winter to make it all legal before jumping back in the spring.... right, or no?

I think I can do great work, thats why i wanted to go to the next level. thank you :)

Can we see some of your photos? Maybe we can help you to make them even better!

Most reactions

Back