Photo sessions...am i messing up already?

thank you everyone. you've given me almost too much to think about! just wish me luck this weekend.. i'll try and post a photo or 2 and get your opinions.

You made a good first step by joining this forum and if this is truly something that you're committed to, I encourage you to stick around. One night when you put the kiddo's to bed and you have some time, click on each forum and then click on the "replies/posts" tab and it'll re-order the forum from most replies to least. Grab a cold one and kick back and start reading the threads. You will find many epic threads and threads very similar to this one.

Three nitpicks after seeing your photo album (take with large dose of salt):

1. Be aware of sun falling on subjects face. Some images have really blown out skin/ squinting
2. Color calibrate your monitor. You have some white balance issues (particularly with images that have a lot of green in them which is common)
3. Selective coloring coloring is never OK. :mrgreen:

You made a good first step by joining this forum and if this is truly something that you're committed to, I encourage you to stick around. One night when you put the kiddo's to bed and you have some time, click on each forum and then click on the "replies/posts" tab and it'll re-order the forum from most replies to least. Grab a cold one and kick back and start reading the threads. You will find many epic threads and threads very similar to this one.

Three nitpicks after seeing your photo album (take with large dose of salt):

1. Be aware of sun falling on subjects face. Some images have really blown out skin/ squinting
2. Color calibrate your monitor. You have some white balance issues (particularly with images that have a lot of green in them which is common)
3. Selective coloring coloring is never OK. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the nitpicks. Can you explain selective coloring to me please?

You have an image of your kids in the woods. The woods are black and white and the kids are in color.

You've got three built in models. You should be practicing on them and your family if you fancy yourself a family portrait photographer. You shouldn't be taking business until you've gotten a lot better with how you should shoot them. At least get a reflector and learn how to use it. Right now your selling point is 'I push the button so you don't have to'. You should have a portfolio full of great shots of your kids and right now all you have are snapshots.

You have an image of your kids in the woods. The woods are black and white and the kids are in color.
Oh, ok. Gotcha. I thought that was neat.. and have gotten compliments on that one specifically..

You've got three built in models. You should be practicing on them and your family if you fancy yourself a family portrait photographer. You shouldn't be taking business until you've gotten a lot better with how you should shoot them. At least get a reflector and learn how to use it. Right now your selling point is 'I push the button so you don't have to'. You should have a portfolio full of great shots of your kids and right now all you have are snapshots.

thanks. im trying, learning everyday. taking pics of my family almost everyday. this is where im at right now, and all i can do is keep learning.

thanks. im trying, learning everyday. taking pics of my family almost everyday. this is where im at right now, and all i can do is keep learning.

How are you 'learning'? Are you reading books? Studying websites? Taking classes? Going to camera clubs? Or just doing the same thing repeatedly, hoping something will magically get better?

How are you 'learning'? Are you reading books? Studying websites? Taking classes? Going to camera clubs? Or just doing the same thing repeatedly, hoping something will magically get better?

easy orljustin... why so grumpy? yes, studying websites, youtube, online course... thanks for your concern...

Check out Adorama TV and Snapfactory YouTube channels. Both have a wide range of easy to understand videos for beginners to advanced.

I'm not referring to the OP in any way by emphasizing this line, I just gotta say, that made me truly laugh out loud!! I've always said I'm not really planning to "go pro", but I've changed my mind--I'm creating my website TODAY and THIS is gonna be my motto! :biglaugh: I bet I could do pretty well with it. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back