Photographers are freaking annoying.

The fire department of the city I live in consists about 90++ % volunteer fire fighters. All are volunteers except administrative and higher management folks. They work just like full time guys, except on their own time without pay.

I've been in a one-day fire training just to get a taste of what it's like, and it is definitely not something to be taken lightly. Doesn't matter what you do or how you do it, safety is the top priory. I'd assume that most of these local photo journalists that the OP is referring to don't have the full concept of the importance of safety. When I photograph events, my urge is to dive right in. For an accident scene, that's not the best thing to do.

What happens when the photographer gets hurt? Will it be the fire fighter's liability because "he has failed to take control"?

I'd say if the fire fighters are still at work trying to control an accident scene or put out a fire, photographers should stay out of their way as much as possible. When the scene has been controlled, they can do what they want.

Just my 2 cents.
Destin likes this.

One does not need to be a firefighter or to have taken one day of training to know what firefighters do and the importance of what they do. Assuming, that is, that one is of reasonable intelligence. And, yes, there are idiots out there. Idiots are everywhere but, that includes the fire department itself, doesn't it?

Destin's rant was way off base and he got slammed for it. Live and learn. Maybe. Hopefully. And btw I see no disrespect for firefighters in anything that was said. Only disrespect for Destin who, imho, deserves it. Why is he ranting against a photographer or two who didn't respond to his BS order instead of ranting against the 50-70 cars that did not get out of the way of his FD vehicle on the way to the scene?

Destin, eighteen (it kinda rhymes, doesn't it?) thinks he is God. At the very least, the god of fire and crashes. Well, he isn't. And he needs to get over himself in a hurry. Or he'll be the next firefighter who becomes a firebug...

In my 12 years as a PJ/war photog I saved quite a few soldiers lives just because I had more combat zone experience than your average GI rotating through the meat grinder... Someday, one of those hated PJs may very well save Destin's life. He had better make his peace with how life works.

No. I'll take it even further. Nearly all photographers are annoying. They all either think they're gods gift to the art world, or they hate art to the extent that they visually regurgitate the same images of half dome endlessly and not even bother to comment about, or even berate those who try to do anything else.

No. I'll take it even further. Nearly all photographers are annoying. They all either think they're gods gift to the art world, or they hate art to the extent that they visually regurgitate the same images of half dome endlessly and not even bother to comment about, or even berate those who try to do anything else.

Bitter! Party for one please! Bitter... your table is ready.

I don't believe that all photographers are annoying, some do believe they are a god on earth with a camera. As a photographer I can be more grumpy than annoying, I believe in the abilities I have using a camera. I think you have issues within your own personal life that have caused you to become unpopular within the tiny mind you possess. You are probably a facebook, forum joiner, and whatever else comes along in search of artifical friends that you can complain to, when in the real world these same people don't care who you are and are willing to add you to their friend list in order to chase a larger number of facebook friends, that if invited wouldn't show up to virtual party hosted by you offering free beer and women.

bam.jpg

Bitter! Party for one please! Bitter... your table is ready.
Not worth responding too.

I'm a bit late to this, but let me just say... this is the funniest thread I've read here in days! :lmao:

To the OP: Get over yourself. It's not "your road", even if you stopped traffic from passing through. You've got a serious superiority complex and its going to get you (or someone else) hurt. Could be from being distracted and getting hurt, or it could be by getting punched in the face by a pissed off photog that you thought you could push around.

Just do you ****ing job and let those responsible for recording what you're doing, do theirs. :twak:

Rekd said:
I'm a bit late to this, but let me just say... this is the funniest thread I've read here in days! :lmao:

To the OP: Get over yourself. It's not "your road", even if you stopped traffic from passing through. You've got a serious superiority complex and its going to get you (or someone else) hurt. Could be from being distracted and getting hurt, or it could be by getting punched in the face by a pissed off photog that you thought you could push around.

Just do you ****ing job and let those responsible for recording what you're doing, do theirs. :twak:

Actually, while the fire dept. Is on scene the scene is OURS. If that includes a road, the road belongs to us, for all intents and purposes, while we are there. We control who does what on it, and who is allowed where. This is the way it has to be for us to do our job. Its not a superiority complex, it's raw fact.

Beyond that, we have the power to enforce it. Any firefighter who is certified fire police has the power to arrest you for disobeying his order while on our scene. Legally, if my chief (notice, I'm not saying myself, so don't say I'm on a power trip) wanted to be a dick, the photographer could have been arrested for trespassing and impairing the job of a first responder because he didn't leave when asked to.

I have absolutely no issue with photographers who do their job right and stay out of our way. Heck, I freelance for a local online newspaper sometimes if I'm near a scene when something happens outside of my fire district. But photographers need to stop thinking that the world revolves around them, and take a few steps back, attach a longer lens, and keep shooting.

Rekd said:

Actually, while the fire dept. Is on scene the scene is OURS. If that includes a road, the road belongs to us, for all intents and purposes, while we are there. We control who does what on it, and who is allowed where. This is the way it has to be for us to do our job. Its not a superiority complex, it's raw fact.

Beyond that, we have the power to enforce it. Any firefighter who is certified fire police has the power to arrest you for disobeying his order while on our scene. Legally, if my chief (notice, I'm not saying myself, so don't say I'm on a power trip) wanted to be a dick, the photographer could have been arrested for trespassing and impairing the job of a first responder because he didn't leave when asked to.

I have absolutely no issue with photographers who do their job right and stay out of our way. Heck, I freelance for a local online newspaper sometimes if I'm near a scene when something happens outside of my fire district. But photographers need to stop thinking that the world revolves around them, and take a few steps back, attach a longer lens, and keep shooting.

You'll never last another 6 months. Either your department will fire you or you will quit. You aren't cut out for emergency response. And I say that as somebody that has been there. I wouldn't want you at my side. You have a lot of growing up to do.

Just my opinion. Hopefully, you prove me wrong.

I don't believe that all photographers are annoying, some do believe they are a god on earth with a camera. As a photographer I can be more grumpy than annoying, I believe in the abilities I have using a camera. I think you have issues within your own personal life that have caused you to become unpopular within the tiny mind you possess. You are probably a facebook, forum joiner, and whatever else comes along in search of artifical friends that you can complain to, when in the real world these same people don't care who you are and are willing to add you to their friend list in order to chase a larger number of facebook friends, that if invited wouldn't show up to virtual party hosted by you offering free beer and women.

You sure can draw a lot of conclusions about me from a half paragraph rant. But I think that my post has more to do with the fact that people on this forum and those like it cannot muster even a single comment on a photograph unless it's of ducks or sunsets or yet another lonely road disappearing to the horizon. If it's outside a cliche, it seems to be a mystery to you fancy snappers, and you're left spouting mental error codes! Bitter, maybe. But at least I'm trying.

And seriously guys, save the cutesy graphics for 4chan.

You actually have that backwards.

But good job insulting the very people you expect to get critique from.

If you stand back and work with long glass you get the shot and not punched in the face.

I think one problem is, alot of people just won't spend the cash to get the equipment needed to do the job properly and safely.

Most reactions

Back