Photographer's Code of Ethics Vs Subject's privacy. I would really like some answers.

To answer:
I'm from Canada, so I'm not sure how privacy laws differ, especially in photography.

We're chilling at our friend's rec room in their basement, even though we're there pretty often, I don't think we can call it a 'public place' per se.

I'd say they're not photographers. They have some expensive toys, but as far as I know they don't have any formal training. They're friends of friends that I really don't care to get to know better.

I can't say for sure they were used for slander, but I know one of the girls was rather upset when several people started posting comments that mocked her weight. It snowballed and the comments weren't remove, to my knowledge. In the uploader's comments sections, these people have made some rather lewd and inappropriate suggestions and descriptions, especially towards female friends.
The injured party just needs to contact facebook and tell them that the image is used without permission. Facebook takes down anything in question like that.
Sounds to me like you guys need to let your friends know that in light of the recent facebook mess you are REALLY uncomfortable having XXX there and snapping away.
I know that if one of my friends posted an image of my other friends that was handled like that I'd be telling them that they are no longer welcome period, let alone no longer welcome with any kind of a camera in hand.

Wait, wait, so then it falls on the owner of the house to press charges if anything even is to happen?

Anyone can press charges but you have almost zero chance of it even reaching a judge (assuming that it wasn't a situation that obviously privacy was expected.. i.e. bathroom taking a crap). What law exactly is being violated? The home owner can ask you to leave. They can't touch your camera nor your images/film. Its still the property of the photographer.

Pressing charges? I'm starting to think your "friends" deserve better too....

You should read this prior to asking more questions...

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

The only charges I can forsee anywhere is from the injured party if the comments were slanderous or harassing. the charges would then be on those who made the comments, not those who took and posted the photos.

But it's not in a public setting...

Yea.. but it isn't YOUR house, right? So only the owner of the house can set the rules... as to what is acceptable and what isn't!

Wait, wait, so then it falls on the owner of the house to press charges if anything even is to happen?

No.. I wouldn't say that.. either! More that the owner of the house can usually dictate the behaviour of guests to some degree.. or ask them to leave. If the owner of the house allows this behaviour, you have two choices...

#1 LEAVE

#2 Stay and deal with it!

I am not an attorney.. and know absolute SQUAT about Canadian law.... but I know that if a "Friend" was allowing me to be treated that way against my wishes, They would not remain a friend for long.

And since we are only hearing your side of the story, and not theirs... we don't even know the whole story!

Interesting thread...something I have been wondering: my daughter competes in cheer ( what a money hungry racket that is!!!) and suddenly I am not allowed to photograph her at competitions. What!?!? I had been for years!!! But NOW they have a photographer come in and force me to buy her prints online. IF she gets a pic of my daughter and I'm sure it won't be in the middle of the cartwheel she mastered just before competition that I am soooo proud of. How can they ban me from photographing MY daughter and force me to pay them??? Oh I'm so frustrated! Is there any way around this?

The competition is a privately organized event (assuming on private property). They do have the right to restrict photographs even if your daughter is in it. Yes.. it sucks. As you said "Money Hungry Racket".

you have two choices...

#1 LEAVE

#2 Stay and deal with it!

Confucius say, if you don't want to be set on fire... don't stand on a pile of lighter-fluid soaked wood as a match is about to be thrown on it.

Or... you know... SOMETHING deep like that...

:biglaugh:

Although this is somewhat enjoyable, I sort of feel like I am watching wolves prowl around a lamb smiling. The lamb thinks he is among friends but really they are just waiting for someone to return with the mint sauce.

I will unsubscribe and hope that just these 23 or 4 posts has not marked me in some way that my children will notice.

Interesting thread...something I have been wondering: my daughter competes in cheer ( what a money hungry racket that is!!!) and suddenly I am not allowed to photograph her at competitions. What!?!? I had been for years!!! But NOW they have a photographer come in and force me to buy her prints online. IF she gets a pic of my daughter and I'm sure it won't be in the middle of the cartwheel she mastered just before competition that I am soooo proud of. How can they ban me from photographing MY daughter and force me to pay them??? Oh I'm so frustrated! Is there any way around this?

You really shouldn't thread Hi-Jack.. since your issue is totally different from the OPs! Just open your own thread.. :)

Makes me wonder what the OP is hiding? Why is he really not wanting his pix taken & posted.

Makes me wonder what the OP is hiding? Why is he really not wanting his pix taken & posted.

Yes... it would be interesting to see if the op will POST links to these offensive photos, so we can evaluate them?

Most reactions

Back