Photographers log..

Gandalf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So this weekend while I was out walking around a park (taking a few snapshots) something clicked in my head:

Does anyone carry a small notepad so that they can jot down the settings on their camera for each picture taken?

This seems like a really good idea for someone like me who's just starting out.

I keep telling myself I'm going to start doing that. Maybe next time! :)

That's one thing I love about digital... all the information is stored on the file :)

Gandalf said:
Does anyone carry a small notepad so that they can jot down the settings on their camera for each picture taken?

I carry the notebook around, but I never write anything down :D and then later I always wished that I had. It's a habit would like to pick up. I write developing notes (like what ISO, N, N-1...) on tape and stick it to the roll or film holder, and I have a darkroom log that I take pretty good notes in: exposure times, aperture, materials, burn/dodge sketches...

i have the same habits as Matt. if you are just beginning, however; i suggest writing down the info for every shot until you get to know your film and process like your best friend.

I write everything down when I'm doing time exposure stuff. I also just makes notes about the light quality/intensity, # of flash bursts used.......bla bla bla. Also gives me something to do when my exposures are averaging 10+ minutes each.

Only other time I take notes is when using a new film. Bracket like crazy, compare the slides with your notes and you'll learn that particular film personality in half the time.

I actually went to the extent of creating an Excel spreadsheet w/printout forms to write the stuff down. Unfortunately the printed sheets ended up at the bottom of the trunk of my car and the Excel file evetually got deleted because I never used either one of them. It's a great idea but it's a lot of work to remind yourself to do it :oops:

Gandalf said:

I'm new at this too and have a small notebook which I keep with my camera stuff and use to take down the settings when I take pics. I also make a note of the time of day and what the light was like. Not sure if that's taking it a bit too far but hey, when you haven't got a clue and need to learn I guess anything goes.

Good luck with your pics (& note taking)

My only suggestion when doing this is don't drop it in a puddle!!! I had that bad experience just recently when I tried some night exposures. :roll:

I told myself I was gonna do that when I first got my camera...and I never have to this day, though I sometimes wich I had written donw the info.

Definitely a better way to learn than just shooting and waiting until you get your prints back...but I have never actually done this either.

A personal tape/voice recorder would also work.

An obsession with shutter speeds and apertures is not unusual but try to get out of it. It serves no real purpose and takes your mind off the important things - like the image.
I once met a succesful professional photographer and looking at his pictures I singled out my favourite and asked what exposure he had given it. He looked at me and said 'sufficient'.

motcon said:
i have the same habits as Matt. if you are just beginning, however; i suggest writing down the info for every shot until you get to know your film and process like your best friend.

Very good motcon!

I have a hard time knowing what changed from one time to the other and have many pictures that I cannot understand why they came out as they did... But to write down everything between the sots can be a hard job... I mean sometimes you take three pics in a row! And BTW, how do you name the pictures if there are like five of them that look very much the same? Or do you number them? is the number one always the same as the negative?

Thanks

I think everyone agrees its a good idea, most of us just forget to do it. Ive scribbled on bits of pieces and my intentions have been good, but by the 7th or 8th frame Ive forgotten I was doing it.

Karalee said:
I think everyone agrees its a good idea, most of us just forget to do it. Ive scribbled on bits of pieces and my intentions have been good, but by the 7th or 8th frame Ive forgotten I was doing it.

Ditto!

Zach :D

Most reactions

Back