Photographers vests

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

I was wondering, have any of you had experience using a photographers vest? My husband said he heard they are very hot, but I'm always cold anyhow so I don't think temperature would bother me too much. I was just curious if they are comfortable, or is it awkward to move around in having lenses stuck into pockets? I was considering one since winter temps will be gone soon and my need for a coat [with its many large pockets] will no longer be needed. I have a camera bag, but usually choose to leave it in the car and just take an extra lens and battery in a coat pocket. I thought one of these vests might afford me the luxury of continuing to do that in spring & summer, plus perhaps take 2 lenses and some filters as well.

Thanks

I live in one pretty much year round. I love my vest for sports. Everything is close at hand, no bag to watch over. It is cool, comfortable and provides not only for my photographic needs, but I have powerbars and gatorade at hand as well.

I live in one pretty much year round. I love my vest for sports. Everything is close at hand, no bag to watch over. It is cool, comfortable and provides not only for my photographic needs, but I have powerbars and gatorade at hand as well.

I checked your gear list - would your vest be the one Cabelas lists on their site as a safari vest, Or do they have a specific photographers vest in the store. I really want to be able to look before I buy and try it on etc. We have two sporting chains near us, one is cabelas but all that comes up when i search is safari vest, so I'm assuming they are one in the same?

Thanks.:D

davebmck - thanks I looked at the link, but it appears its only available for purchase online.

smyth & JerryPH - thanks I'll check out the links.

It is the now discontinued I believe Cabellas photography vest. Not the safari vest they now have. I love it as there are 4 lens pockets that are padded. It is a compromise in terms of design. It has two film canister pockets on the top right side, but they are perfect to hold other small stuff.

Last edited:
I use my vest occasionally and for the most part love the convenience of it. Mine is a Nikon Vestrap, which I don't think they sell any more. It is vented very well in the back, similar to the POTN in davebmck's post above. If it is very hot out, the vest can add to it, but it's not bad.

Worst part for me is when I'm fully loaded with gear, it continues to creep forward on my shoulders. I'm continually reshifting the weight back. I've even thought about having a clip sewn on the inside of the back that I could hook to my pants beltloops to hold it down somewhat. I'm afraid I'll just get a photographer's "wedgie" instead. :lol:

If you don't carry tons of gear in a vest, it's much better and I like it better than a bag or backpack.

I use my vest occasionally and for the most part love the convenience of it. Mine is a Nikon Vestrap, which I don't think they sell any more. It is vented very well in the back, similar to the POTN in davebmck's post above. If it is very hot out, the vest can add to it, but it's not bad.

Worst part for me is when I'm fully loaded with gear, it continues to creep forward on my shoulders. I'm continually reshifting the weight back. I've even thought about having a clip sewn on the inside of the back that I could hook to my pants beltloops to hold it down somewhat. I'm afraid I'll just get a photographer's "wedgie" instead. :lol:

If you don't carry tons of gear in a vest, it's much better and I like it better than a bag or backpack.

:lol::lmao: Thanks for the laugh - photographers wedgie. :lol::lmao:

I'll only be taking a couple of lenses and some filters, nothing real heavy.

It is the now discontinued I believe Cabellas photography vest. Not the safari vest they now have. I love it as there are 4 lens pockets that are padded. It is a compromise in terms of design. It has two film canister pockets on the top right side, but they are perfect to hold other small stuff.

:thumbup:Thanks.

I do think I will still take a look at the Cabella's safari vest though as it might work for my needs; I won't be carrying a lot and its not like I will be trudging into any rugged terrain, so the pocket padding need not be an issue, and I can always fix that easily enough anyway. I like it's overall look, 16 pockets are more than enough, and the price is right and most importantly I can try it on before buying.

I searched online and found one very inexpensive photo vest [campco combat photo vest] it looks very bulky and uncomfortable. Another, the humvee safari photo vest costs the same as the safari vest at Cabella's, it has 21 pockets, but many seem to be small - stated use, for flashlights and pens. The vests I found at photo stores were also similar to the one at cabella's, but much more expensive and again -I'd have to buy online.

Thanks again for your help.

davebmck - thanks I looked at the link, but it appears its only available for purchase online.
What's the problem with that, I buy everything online. I ordered mine and had it it two days. It's a reputable source if that's your concern.

i think you should definately get one
clear.gif

If I didn't have the vest I do, this would be the one I would choose.
Domke | PhoTOGS Vest - Large (Khaki) | 734-003 | B&H Photo Video

The one thing to keep in mind is that a safari vest has pretty, flat pockets, they are not really designed to carry bulky gear. The Domke doesn't look as nice but the lens pockets and other pockets are designed with the photographer in mind. One of my breast pockets is actually 4 pockets in one designed to hold filters in their holders. All of the lens pockets have double velcro flaps to hold them closed well and elastic tops to the pockets to also go around the lens. The mesh makes it very breathable in hot weather.

A good vest is like a good camera bag. It is something that you will get years of use out of. If you find one that fits you well and carries your gear comfortably you will be grabbing it all of the time.

For less than good weather, this will probably be on my fall purchase list.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...04_Photogs_Convertible_Jacket_Vest_Extra.html

What's the problem with that, I buy everything online. I ordered mine and had it it two days. It's a reputable source if that's your concern.

The issue with buying it online, simply put, is - I want to try it on before I buy it. ;)

If I didn't have the vest I do, this would be the one I would choose.
Domke | PhoTOGS Vest - Large (Khaki) | 734-003 | B&H Photo Video

The one thing to keep in mind is that a safari vest has pretty, flat pockets, they are not really designed to carry bulky gear. The Domke doesn't look as nice but the lens pockets and other pockets are designed with the photographer in mind. One of my breast pockets is actually 4 pockets in one designed to hold filters in their holders. All of the lens pockets have double velcro flaps to hold them closed well and elastic tops to the pockets to also go around the lens. The mesh makes it very breathable in hot weather.

A good vest is like a good camera bag. It is something that you will get years of use out of. If you find one that fits you well and carries your gear comfortably you will be grabbing it all of the time.

For less than good weather, this will probably be on my fall purchase list.
Domke | Photogs Convertible Jacket/Vest, Extra Large | 735-004

I was actually looking at this one yesterday and I do like it, but I am concerned with getting the right size....one of the hazards of buying online :er: and since a friend is making the purchase for me [its a gift to me] I fear returning it if the size is wrong could prove bothersome. The safety of my camera equipment is important though as I can't afford to replace any of it, so maybe I will just go for the Domke vest and hope for the best as far as size. Better the bother of returning than a broken lens that can't be replaced.

:D Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Most reactions

Back