Photographers vests

I was actually looking at this one yesterday and I do like it, but I am concerned with getting the right size....one of the hazards of buying online :er: and since a friend is making the purchase for me [its a gift to me] I fear returning it if the size is wrong could prove bothersome. The safety of my camera equipment is important though as I can't afford to replace any of it, so maybe I will just go for the Domke vest and hope for the best as far as size. Better the bother of returning than a broken lens that can't be replaced.

:D Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

If it's too small it is a problem. Mine I bought a bit large. It has adjusting straps on the side to snug it to the body, as does the Domke, which is helpful as I usually have a couple of bottles of gatorade in the large back pocket. It is also nice that I can put it over a sweatshirt or jacket if the weather it a bit cool.

I've been using the Domke that was suggested for many years now. While the quality has gone down slightly over that time, it is still the best vest I can find. The mesh makes it a good vest for hot climates and I really like the closures on the pockets both velcro and zippers. Great vest. I suggest you buy it one size larger than you think you would want it if you are really going to load it up with lenses. BTW I really like the black ones which you do not see often.

Park Street
Architectural Photographer, Corporate Photographer, Park Street Photography : Austin (512) 477-3572

If it's too small it is a problem. Mine I bought a bit large. It has adjusting straps on the side to snug it to the body, as does the Domke, which is helpful as I usually have a couple of bottles of gatorade in the large back pocket. It is also nice that I can put it over a sweatshirt or jacket if the weather it a bit cool.

:D I just sent a link to my friend for the Domke vest. :thumbup: So glad you mentioned the pocket thing. I should have realized that on my own - duh! And since B&H is a very good place and stand behind what they sell, if I do need to exchange it for size, I doubt there will be any problem.

Park - thank you for your input on Domke also, however my personal color choice was the kahki since I feel it will reflect the sunlight more and thus, the heat too. :D

I have been considering the Domke vest mentioned earlier for quite a while now... I just ordered it - it should be here friday. I got the khaki one (I wish they had it in olive drab, I would have gotten that instead - khaki is good too though).

Most of the reviews say it is "too long", which is good news for me because I usually have to get 'tall' sized clothes - most vests are too short for me.

I'll let you know what I think (if anyone cares...) once it comes in. Knowing Domke, I'm sure it will be a very good product.

I got the large one (44-48 inch chest - my chest measures 42 inches, so I think this will fit well).

edit
the D-rings on the shoulders look like they would work perfectly with the Domke camera straps (which I highly recommend). They look to be at just the right height to attach the strap directly to the vest. I doubt that this is a coincidence - I'll try it out once it comes in.

Last edited:
I have been considering the Domke vest mentioned earlier for quite a while now... I just ordered it - it should be here friday. I got the khaki one (I wish they had it in olive drab, I would have gotten that instead - khaki is good too though).

Most of the reviews say it is "too long", which is good news for me because I usually have to get 'tall' sized clothes - most vests are too short for me.

I'll let you know what I think (if anyone cares...) once it comes in. Knowing Domke, I'm sure it will be a very good product.

I got the large one (44-48 inch chest - my chest measures 42 inches, so I think this will fit well).

edit
the D-rings on the shoulders look like they would work perfectly with the Domke camera straps (which I highly recommend). They look to be at just the right height to attach the strap directly to the vest. I doubt that this is a coincidence - I'll try it out once it comes in.

To be honest, I would have liked the olive drab too, but kahki is still better than black. I'll have to take a look at the Domke camera straps - doubt they are beyond my budget. You know what I was surprised at? B&H had the large vest for a cheaper price than the medium [that I need]. Normally the price goes up with the larger sizes.....maybe it was newer stock with a price increase. I have to wait till sometime in April for my vest :( when my friend's band goes back to work. Before anyone asks - they are a group of Oldies, playing oldies:lol: they call their group "All Folked Up":lol:

The last time i wore a photographers vest. I was mocked so badly at school that they beat me up and stole my camera..... That's the last time im wearing a photograopher's vest to a school dance

I haven't been inside of a school in 35 years, so I don't think I have anything to worry about.;)

In my youth ... we used to mock vest wearers and call the vests "Shooter's Vests". I have a Domke which is very comfortable and holds quite a bit of stuff. For an all day shoot where you're walking around all day ... the balance is much better than with a bag. Great pockets which, like all Domke stuff, is easy and very fast geting stuff in and out.

Gary

I'll have to take a look at the Domke camera straps - doubt they are beyond my budget.
About $20.

They have quick release clasps that look like they would hook up nicely to the rings on that vest.

The vest came in today. The color is a little on the olive side (which I like), kinda half way between khaki and olive drab.

Haven't really got a chance to use it yet, but it seems comfortable and has tons of storage space.

The description of it online (and the tag that was attached to it) says it has 18 pockets...
I can only find 14, unless they're counting the 3 pen 'pockets' and removable ID holder as pockets (which I think is pretty lame, if that's the case). Still, even if it's missing 4 pockets - there's still tons of room.

The vest came in today. The color is a little on the olive side (which I like), kinda half way between khaki and olive drab.

Haven't really got a chance to use it yet, but it seems comfortable and has tons of storage space.

The description of it online (and the tag that was attached to it) says it has 18 pockets...
I can only find 14, unless they're counting the 3 pen 'pockets' and removable ID holder as pockets (which I think is pretty lame, if that's the case). Still, even if it's missing 4 pockets - there's still tons of room.

They are, it's marketing.:D Check the inside of the vest. Mine has 3 hidden if I remember correctly.

They are, it's marketing.:D Check the inside of the vest. Mine has 3 hidden if I remember correctly.

Yeah - 3 on the inside, 2 on the back, 2 on the chest (6 if you count the ID holder & pen "pockets"), 4 on the left side, 3 on the right. I missed the 4th one on the left at first - zippered pocket inside of another pocket.

I just think it's lame that they have to count the little pen slots (I wouldn't really consider them pockets) and the ID holder (which is removable, so it shouldn't count either) to bring the total up to 18. Like 14 wouldn't have been good enough?

Anyway. I still like it.

I can't wait to put it to use. It should be prefect for short hikes through the woods (among other stuff).

Yeah - 3 on the inside, 2 on the back, 2 on the chest (6 if you count the ID holder & pen "pockets"), 4 on the left side, 3 on the right. I missed the 4th one on the left at first - zippered pocket inside of another pocket.

I just think it's lame that they have to count the little pen slots (I wouldn't really consider them pockets) and the ID holder (which is removable, so it shouldn't count either) to bring the total up to 18. Like 14 wouldn't have been good enough?

Anyway. I still like it.

I can't wait to put it to use. It should be prefect for short hikes through the woods (among other stuff).

Enjoy the new purchase. Mine gets a lot of use.
Here are Two great additions for a vest user.

1. Tripod bag that has straps that can be used like a backpack. This was my choice because I got it for $25.00 new.. It is a good bag.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-NTB-28-Soft-Sided-Tripod-Carrying/dp/B000FCP170]Amazon.com: Vanguard NTB-28 Soft-Sided Tripod Carrying Case: Camera & Photo[/ame]

2. For your own comfort. Walkstool - The stool that walks
The pouch also has duel straps that let you carry it on our back like a backpack. Very sturdy and comfortable.

2. For your own comfort. Walkstool - The stool that walks
The pouch also has duel straps that let you carry it on our back like a backpack. Very sturdy and comfortable.

That looks pretty nice - I just might have to get one.

I have a sling on my tripod already (it's actually a rifle sling, but it works pretty good on the tripod too), so I'm pretty much set for that. It's attached to the rings at each end of the center column.

That looks pretty nice - I just might have to get one.

I have a sling on my tripod already (it's actually a rifle sling, but it works pretty good on the tripod too), so I'm pretty much set for that. It's attached to the rings at each end of the center column.

I live with mine when shooting baseball, softball, track and field etc. as well as shooting wildlife. Just don't buy the basic cheapie model. They are made like all the rest. The ones at the link are the better (of course more expensive) models, but they will support 550 to 650 lbs. Much sturdier.

Most reactions

Back