Photographer's vests???

*mind of the dog* He's doing it again isn't he? Gah I can't take him anywhere any more!

Check out The Vest Guy for some varied vests as well as custom service for construction. Personally I've had my eye on a vest for some time; as you've found a backpack is great for carrying loads of stuff, but it also leaves it all out of reach. Flip bags and other nifty ideas have tried but mostly tend to just be annoying get in the way methods of getting easier access (although some do allow some increased access speed). Shoulder bags are quicker, but not as good for carrying larger amounts of stuff over more rugged terrain or around more busy areas or on longer trips (I find shifting shoulder to shoulder all day becomes very annoying).

A vest lets you hit that middle ground between shoulderbag and backpack. Yeah you look geeky, but if you've got enough camera gear with you to need a vest then no matter what you have you already look like a photographer geek anyway :p

They're a lot more comfortable than fanny packs, backpacks or bags. I'm likely to use any of them, depending on how I feel at the time.

Since I'm married I don't give a rats hind-quarter what I look like anyway. ;)

So, do you leave your gear in the vest when done with the excursion? Or do you have to remove it and put it all back away?

To me, this is the reason I got a shoulder bag. I store all my gear in there so I don't have to be putting it in a vest and removing it. Plus, with the bag rotated to the fromt, it adds a little stability for when I don't have the monopod.

I can't speak for others, but I had to buy a truck to carry my big shoulder bag. I have several bags of various types each for different uses. When I am shooting sports I usually wear the vest, load it with what I need for the event and unload it back into the bag when I am done.

I use speed belts for racing and golf. They work great.

Would anyone say that a vest is more useful than a fanny pack type bag?

I often shoot with BOTH a vest and a fanny pack. As far as putting lenses into a vest without protection...jeebus...they are lenses...it's not like carrying around raw eggs or crystal champagne glasses with 4-inch stems...they can take being used!!!

Although expensive, one of the best is scotte-vest with up to 24 pockets and compartments, some inside for more security from pickpockets.

skieur

They are also handy for taking gear on board flights when your carry on bag is near or at its limit

They are also handy for taking gear on board flights when your carry on bag is near or at its limit

Oh, how I can relate to this. Flying home for Christmas I had three separate items, all fairly bulky, that I wasn't going to check for obvious reasons - my laptop (for work), my camera gear, and some small medical equipment. I wound up packing the last two in a back pack that went into the overhead bins while the laptop went under the seat in front of me. It was still a pain.

Thanks, all, for the feedback. It sounds like it all boils down (as so many things do) to "whatever you're comfortable with". In part I was concerned that there was something about the vests that people had found more annoying than useful, and in part I was somewhat concerned about looking like a total "tourist" or "noobie" (pick your preferred pejorative). It sounds like the latter 'problem' is probably inevitable, but oh well.

I wouldn't wear a fanny pack if you paid me :) Uncomfortable, and reminds me too much of tourists at Disney World.
Well, maybe depending on the size of the check...

I prefer a shoulder bag, but will go with a backpack if I need more room. Never tried a vest - don't usually carry enough little bits to need all those pockets.

I think vests are rather useless in landscape photography unless you work in sunny California or in some arid place. Where I do photography, it can usually rain every minute and vests are usually not rain-proof ;)

Most reactions

Back