Photographer's vests???

It depends on the vest for waterproofing - I know many of the cheap and popular brand vests are generally aimed at being summer clothing in style -- but there are some rugged ones (check the vest guy link provided earlier) with much more weather proofed vest designs.

In the end I suspect a vest user is going to end up like any one with bags -you'll get a few for different occasions. Light ones for short trips - heavier duty ones - more weather proof ones - etc.....

It depends on the vest for waterproofing - I know many of the cheap and popular brand vests are generally aimed at being summer clothing in style -- but there are some rugged ones (check the vest guy link provided earlier) with much more weather proofed vest designs.

In the end I suspect a vest user is going to end up like any one with bags -you'll get a few for different occasions. Light ones for short trips - heavier duty ones - more weather proof ones - etc.....

Never have seen a vest which would keep my gear try for hours in hard rain ... but then again I might not have searched intensely enough!

And on weddings and other formal events I try to blend in a bit ... so the clothing aspect does not really allow a vest ;)

Never have seen a vest which would keep my gear try for hours in hard rain ... but then again I might not have searched intensely enough!

And on weddings and other formal events I try to blend in a bit ... so the clothing aspect does not really allow a vest

My shirt won't keep me dry either but I still wear one. That's why one of these big enough to go over the vest comes in handy. Comes in handy with out the vest as well.:)
Trail Model Rain Jacket: Rain Jackets | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

And on weddings and other formal events I try to blend in a bit ... so the clothing aspect does not really allow a vest ;)

To be fair most photographic bags that I know of are not that weather proof either - they all need their own cover to make them water tight (which has always surprisedme - esp when companies like lowepro always go on about their great zips - of course they do make their dryzone range which are water tight enough to survive submersing in water)

To be fair most photographic bags that I know of are not that weather proof either - they all need their own cover to make them water tight

Always actually annoys me, that is why on many occasions I am using Ortlieb bags.

but I think we are going astray from the OT now ;)

I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

If you want to look like a NURD they are great
I agree with this for landscape/out-and-about photography, however a vest is usually required when shooting at a credentialed event. For example in my field (Motocross/Supercross/Arenacross) they require you to wear one of the Alpinestars or Thor media vests. I actually like the Alpinestars' one and would probably "forget" to turn it in however they hold your drivers license for that very reason.

I use one much of the time now for landscape work. I vastly prefer it over a backpack or shoulder bag. I am using a moderately expensive model originally designed for fishing use. It has two large zippered pockets on each side, which works out pretty well, and also a large back "cargo" pocket, which can hold things like a jacket, rain gear, snacks/food,etc.

Sounds like someone needs to make and sell "The Derrel Vest". I expect a video with action shots of you wearing it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back