Photographer's vests???

rlemert

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(Making this a separate thread so as not to hijack the "travel photography" thread.)

Just wondering what the consensus (if any) is on the use of camera vests vs camera bags for "field" photography - i.e. travel pictures, landscape, etc.

The last time I went out and did anything "serious" - I found it somewhat annoying to have to carry around an extra bag and dig into it when I wanted to change the lens. I got to thinking that having a vest (probably with snap-tight pockets) would free me up from having to worry about where everything was and how I would have to carry it. Are they really that convenient, or do they have problems that I'm not seeing yet?

I use one much of the time now for landscape work. I vastly prefer it over a backpack or shoulder bag. I am using a moderately expensive model originally designed for fishing use. It has two large zippered pockets on each side, which works out pretty well, and also a large back "cargo" pocket, which can hold things like a jacket, rain gear, snacks/food,etc.

I would forget what's in all the pockets lol

So, do you leave your gear in the vest when done with the excursion? Or do you have to remove it and put it all back away?

To me, this is the reason I got a shoulder bag. I store all my gear in there so I don't have to be putting it in a vest and removing it. Plus, with the bag rotated to the fromt, it adds a little stability for when I don't have the monopod.

I don't like them as a way to transport my gear, but I have one that I use for location shooting so that I have a place to shove filter boxes, flash meter, QR plates, remote release, spare batteries, end-caps, and the thousand and one other odds & ends that I seem to deal with.

That make ssense to me. I couldn't see just putting lenses in a vest without protection. Thanks for that explanation.

Would anyone say that a vest is more useful than a fanny pack type bag?

I mainly shoot 4x5 film these days for my landscape photography and for landscape photography I find a photo vest most useful. It gives me lots of places to put filters, hold the light meter, and a place to put the lens caps so you don't loose them. Those things don't always stay in the vest but I do pertinently keep lens cleaning supply's in one of the pockets.

Plus I like to put patches from each of the national parks I visit on my vest.

If I did landscape or wildlife shooting, I'd probably rock a vest. But for weddings, they're completely impractical. I shoot with a ThinkTank belt and pouches with the SpiderPro dual holsters setup. There's no way any vest could replace that functionality.

I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back