Photography Books for Beginners!

I am also looking to get another good book to help me learn lighting mostly but general photography as well. Keep coming across "Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson". I feel that I am definitly past the total novice point and have a decent if not great understanding on exposure, as far as the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO goes anyway. So my question is to anyone who has read/owns this book, is it for novice as well as intermediate skill level, or even advanced? Thanks in advance and sorry if I hijacked the thread, I really hated to start a new one when I felt this was relevant here as well.

What on this list would you recommend for intermediate skill level or "everyone" level. I know the OP asked about beginner but I am sure there are probably a couple books that overlap skill levels. Just really don't wanna buy another book that is gonna tell me that f/2.8 lets in more light than f/8 ect...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Scott Kelby's 4 part seriesThe Digital Photography Book was very helpful and easy to follow. Each page has 1 tip. Tis makes it easy to learn, test out, and go back again for reference.

Understanding Exposure as
well.

Scott Kelby's 4 part seriesThe Digital Photography Book was very helpful and easy to follow. Each page has 1 tip. Tis makes it easy to learn, test out, and go back again for reference.

Understanding Exposure as
well.

I got Scott Kelby 4 part The Digital Photography this past christmas and it has been very helpful. I do see alot of the tips here and there throughout the internet but its good to have them all right there in one place. Still reading the last book of the set and thats why I was looking at Understanding Exposure next but wanted something that would build on what I already learned/know and not repeat the same basic concepts over again. Thanks for your quick response.

This is the best course and e book I ever tried. - here is the link for e - book check it out yourself <Link Removed> You can read some of my posts in my blog for more info as well - <Link Removed> This <Link Removed> classes aren&#8217;t only for beginners and they don&#8217;t just supply techniques. They also offer assignments, the company of other photographers and plenty of inspiration. The key to turning enrolment in a photography class into new direction for your photography is choosing the right class and taking an active role in it.
There are all kinds of classes and workshops available for photographers. read more - <Link Removed>another posts - <Link Removed>
I hope my info will be helpful.

Not by any chance trying to promote something are you Chris? Links to useful 'sites are fine. A link to your own blog/website in your signature is fine. That was a little overboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
You should find something useful over here

Last edited by a moderator:
Look this up on Amazon - "The Photographer's Vision: Understanding and Appreciating Great Photography".
This was one of the first book i read about photography when i began.

Hmmmm not so sure if this newbie bought the right book. .I'm new to the world of dslr. Just bought the book "understanding digital photography" Bryan peterson... I hope this one is a good start!

Not a book but I found the Karl Taylor Intro to Photography video pretty helpful. I am about halfway through Understanding Exposure right now.

Speedliters Handbook is fantastic x

I'm working my way through understanding exposure right now too. It seems like that's everyone's first suggestion. Peterson's delivery is a tinge annoying at times, bit smart azzy for my taste. He reminds me of those professors I had who thought they were cool. I know the type, I used to be a professor and I thought I was cool. The point is that there is a lot of good information in there. I've kicked around doing one of his classes but I think I'll work my way through some of his other books instead.

agree with the comment that I'm tired of being told that aperature get bigger as the numbers get smaller

The way fractions work - 1/2 (f/2) is a bigger number and wider open (bigger) aperture, than 1/16 (f/16) is. f = whatever lens focal length you use.

I can suggest the path that I'm taking to learning photography. I am a complete noob at this so I ordered "Canon 60D for Dummies" and "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Now that I have received both books I'm gonna read through "Understanding Exposure" and play along with my shiny new camera! Hope this helps...

Most reactions

Back