Photography Magazine subscriptions

Bellaboo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone knows which magazine's are worth getting or subscribing to that are available in Canada. I have had a quick look on the internet, but there seem to be a few? Any advice would be great! Thanks

there are some that are really good. the best for you to do is just to buy some different ones or get some from the library (they will order them for you). it depends what kind of photography you like.

When you think about it, what do you find in magazines that you cant find on a good photography website in 2 seconds?

When you think about it, what do you find in magazines that you cant find on a good photography website in 2 seconds?

Magazines are nice if you do not have constant access to the internet. Also while lying in bed and using the bathroom.:lol: I was without internet for the past two years and it was fun reading magazines and books. And something you can not find on the internet in 2 seconds are magazine exclusive interviews and columns.

KNOWLEDGE! Granted, if you are looking for something specific, then nothing is better than the net. On the other hand, I gain knowledge from reading about the experience of photographers, seeing what equipment they use and how their images look. For example, Nature Photographer is one magazine I read. In one of the issues I noticed a photographer had solved a problem that has long vexed me.

I live in Florida and a brilliant sky is the norm. That means that any picture with a sky in it will routinely result in an under exposed ground or an over exposed sky. I had been thinking about merging multiple images together to create an acceptable image.

While perusing an issue of Nature Photographer I noticed that one photographer's images were properly exposed even with bright sky and dark ground. He was using a Cokin graduated filter. I researched this filter system and was astounded at their offerings. Now I can use the same filters with most of my lens. I can use multiple filters on one lens if I wish. I no longer have to unscrew and screw in filters in the field.

BTW, not everyone has high speed internet. That's just about essential if you are visiting photo web sites with a lot of images.

A break from the eye burning monitor.

not only that but magazines and books can go into the field with you to shoot without having to lug around a heavy laptop and worry about its battery - infact books and mags don't even need any power at all to run. And I must say I find it far easier to read paper material over internet material - its just easier on the eyes.

As for what I read sadly most of the photogrpahy magazines I come across have poor conent. They aim themselves primarily at the entry level photographer and even though the articles are aimed at beginners one gets the distinct impression (after reading them) that hte author is still holding back a lot of key info and just offering the bare starting blocks.
Also when it comes to editing they all use photoshop. Ok its a market standard, but how many average people can afford a $£500 program after spending out as much or more on a camera? Not many- so the editing guides become rather pointless as they can't be followed by the target audience.

In addition many have now very large advertising content - ok I understand ads bring in the money, but when around half of the mag is just ads I'd rather just go out and get the adTrader mag instead - if I want to read ads.

National Geographic is a good mag though - wel written and informative articles/ 1st rate photography for inspiration and they also do run interviews and articles on photographers as well. Well worth money in my view

digital Photography SLR, its from England, but it ships internationally

Arizona highways is ex! Nat geo is a fav since about 3 years old lol. I got pop photography but no issues have come yet. It looks ok but high adds.

I get Pop Photo, American Photo, Digital Photo Pro, Shutterbug, and Outdoor Photo and my answer is, depends on what you are looking for.

DPP is my favorite, but if you are looking for a "gear guide" then go for Pop Photo. Am not real happy with Shutterbug.

Craig

Bonsoir!

Magazines are nice if you do not have constant access to the internet. Also while lying in bed and using the bathroom.:lol: I was without internet for the past two years and it was fun reading magazines and books. And something you can not find on the internet in 2 seconds are magazine exclusive interviews and columns.

+1 there, I also havent had the net for quite some time. Barnes and Noble (sp?) was a great place to find a wide selection. Although I'm not sure if they have the stores located in Canada, but most of the better mags I found there were Euro based thus very expensive. Shutterbug seems to be over-run with advertisements and lengthy reviews, Popular Photography seemed a bit better (less) in the advertisement / sales department.

I actually just ordered 2 years each of Shutterbug and Popular Photography. I like them both and take them to work with me to read on my lunch breaks. Its also good to have them as quick reference or to take on a trip or in the field. I know that the net is great info, but for some reason I have always been partial to having an actual magazine in my hands. I find some of the photoshop tutorials interesting as well as keeping up on the new gear. There are also photo contests and things like that. I think I paid $34 for 2 years for one and like $18 for two years of the other. But of course thats in America.

Most reactions

Back