Photography Magazine subscriptions

Wow thanks guys, some really interesting information, I shall have a look at all mentioned. I have to say that I tend to agree with the comment made about getting info on the net, but I too like to have a look at books and magazines rather than a computer screen sometimes. Thanks again for everyone's valuable input :D:D

I got turned off by photography magazines because of all the ads, and poor content. I recently picked up a copy of Photoed, which I really like. The one I purchased showcased alternative methods, like pinhole & cyanotypes.

Of late I have been turned off by magazines. I would always pick up a shutterbug when a new one came out, if I wasn't subscribing at the time. And I have tried several of the others at times with subscriptions. But since money is so tight for them, and they get smaller with less content and more advertising. Their appeal has gone away. Then you have the sneeky "articles" that to me seem just like very large ADs. And it seems its the same stuff over and over agian. Obviously Nikon and Canon are the big boys but I would like to see more on other systems.

And because they need advertising they really don't get into the short fallings of a product. They will mention a couple faults just to make it seem like an unbiased review. But in reality when the product has been out for a while and you pay attention to forums and such. It really makes you wonder why the issues were not addressed in the magazine articles. And the fact is if you piss off the manufacturers too much. They will not send you that new hot rod to review any more. And reduce or quit advertising. So, it's a double edge sword for them. But for me they have lost my interest.

I get 2 magazines:
  1. Photoshop User (it's part of my NAPP membership)
  2. Rangefinder (It's more for pro photographers)
All those others like Shutter Bug and Popular Photography start rehasing articles every 18 months or so and even then, imo, the articles are basically advertisements.

Last Christmas, my g/f's dad got me a subscription to PhotoLife Magazine. Its a Canadian based company which is great IMO. They show everything from whats new to helpful tips with PP. Give it a look if you can.

Last Christmas, my g/f's dad got me a subscription to PhotoLife Magazine. Its a Canadian based company which is great IMO. They show everything from whats new to helpful tips with PP. Give it a look if you can.

Thanks everso! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back