Photography Teaching Job

ejkerwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I work for Camp Winnebago, a boy's camp in Maine and we are looking for an individual to teach photography for the next 8 weeks. Our program is film based teaching camera use and darkroom skills. The contract is for approximately $2000 including travel to Maine and back as well as room and board for the summer. Individuals must be at least 19 and excited and willing to work with 8-15 year olds.

If you are interested in camp, please check out our web site at: www.campwinnebago.com. Here is a link to our online application.

I can be reached by phone at 207-685-4918

Thanks

E.J. Kerwin
Camp Winnebago

Sounds like the successful applicant will be making just over $100 per week once travel cost is subtracted from the $2000.

It is a camp counseling job. Meant for younger individuals who are focused more on the experience then compensation. Thanks.

It is a camp counseling job. Meant for younger individuals who are focused more on the experience then compensation. Thanks.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, might be a tough fit - most younger folks probably won't have the 35mm/darkroom experience your looking for.

Hopefully though you can find someone who's maybe retired with the right experience looking for a bit of an adventure. :)

... might be a tough fit - most younger folks probably won't have the 35mm/darkroom experience your looking for.
Agree. I think you might be further ahead trying to see if you could get local camera clubs to host seminars or teaching sessions. I would think even for most youth, that sort of return would pale when compared to a summer slinging fries at McDonald's.

Travel was included as well as room and board.

Not too many young people shooting film and add to that darkroom experience these days although there's been a resurgence.

If so, it seems it should say PLUS travel to/from, not including travel to/from Maine.

What is said leaves room for doubt.

Honestly, if I were 19 and had the knowledge, I'd probably be into this opportunity. I might make more money doing something else, but I'd love doing this -- I wouldn't love flipping burgers.

I had plenty of friends who worked at summer camps for chicken feed because of the experience that went along with it, although I get that's hard to measure as a working adult.

Gee whiz, the guy came on a photography forum to post an opportunity. Take it or shut up.

Not all of us see it as an opportunity.
I see it as a way to take advantage of a young person.

If you do some math based on information on the camp web site you can calculate that for the not quite 8 week summer season gross revenue for the camp approaches $1,000,000.00 dollars.

Hi,
I work for Camp Winnebago, a boy's camp in Maine and we are looking for an individual to teach photography for the next 8 weeks. Our program is film based teaching camera use and darkroom skills. The contract is for approximately $2000 including travel to Maine and back as well as room and board for the summer. Individuals must be at least 19 and excited and willing to work with 8-15 year olds.

If you are interested in camp, please check out our web site at: www.campwinnebago.com. Here is a link to our online application.

I can be reached by phone at 207-685-4918

Thanks

E.J. Kerwin
Camp Winnebago

film and darkroom skills ?
like those math and engineering majors with slide rule skills?

Not all of us see it as an opportunity.
I see it as a way to take advantage of a young person.

If you do some math based on information on the camp web site you can calculate that for the not quite 8 week summer season gross revenue for the camp approaches $1,000,000.00 dollars.

So? The guy doesn't own the camp, he works there. Sounds like he wants someone to pass on knowledge to the next generation to me. Take it or look at another thread. Pretty simple.

I used to work at summer camp, and eventually was director of a couple of camp programs. It wasn't a lot of pay, but it was so much fun and great experience, I loved it.

The job description seems like a typical camp counselor job, although I don't know the going rate for pay and agree it might be more of a challenge to find someone to teach film photography (nice that the camp has a darkroom).

I'm not sure what might be of help to the OP. In my area schools are out for the summer earlier than they used to be so this would be late to try to find a counselor (although I imagine there are circumstances that there's a need to fill a position).

Would it be an option to hire a camp counselor and then see if there's an area camera club or college/school darkroom program that has someone who could come in days and do the darkroom instruction? Hope the OP finds someone.

Sometimes, it's not about the money.

I teach classes, and have never received as much as a nickel. However, I enjoy it. And truth be told, I get an education as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back