Photography Terminology Pet Peeves

@ sharon: re:
There is never an instance when "utilize" is a better choice than the word "use."

You never played scrabble?

:lol:

SNAPS! A couple of SNAPS!

If you put SNAPS or SNAPSHOTS in the title of your thread, and ask for C&C.. I am going to ignore it! I do not C&C SNAPS.. and I doubt that most here would waste the time to do so either!

SNAPS belong on Facebook!

The word professional bothers me.

It bothers me too.. but only when associated with someone that has been doing photography for less then five years (maybe ten years! Depends on what the images look like!) lol!

Improper substitution of the term depth of focus in place of the term depth of field; the two are not even REMOTELY close in meaning!!!!

Another pet peeve I have is the newbie-speak of referring to "a high aperture", meaning something like f/11 or f/16. The term is a SMALL aperture.

With the flood of newbies into the photo game over the last decade, dozens of photographic terms are now routinely misused, all over the world, and all over the world wide web. "Don't get me started!"

"Focal point" for autofocus bracket location is another peeve.

The word professional bothers me.

I have no qualms with professional photographers, but I DO HAVE 'issues" with all the per-fesh-uh-nals and the pro-fesssh-Uh-nulls that have popped up on social media sites and Craigslist and other places.

2WheelPhoto said:
Mine is "Image Capture". Has a ring to it thats "professional" sounding and over-used by nooBs and FB fauxtogs heh

Like the many people who regularly employ the word "utilized" wrong, displaying ignorance. Its lame to use the word "image captures" and such and the pics look like typical FB/bestbuy crap

"I want to capture all of the precious moments of your beautiful/big day/event."

Totally original and professional, eh?

It also bothers me when people use DPI when they really mean PPI. Although, this one is so widespread, you see many commercial/professional companies doing it...it's not hard to understand where people pick it up.

@ sharon: re:
There is never an instance when "utilize" is a better choice than the word "use."

You never played scrabble?

:lol:

Well "played." :D
I should know those "nevers" nearly always come back to bite you on the backside.
It's still a loathsome word. I hate it so much that I probably *wouldn't* play it in Scrabble. :lmao:

I don't care if you call it a photograph, a snap, a two dimensional representation or Nancy, just make it your own.

Completely unrelated, but one of the most commonly misspelled words and my biggest pet peeve to read:

It's spelled "LOSE", people, not "LOOSE"!!!

"Post Production" re: photograph editing

Isn't editing part of the production process?

Completely unrelated, but one of the most commonly misspelled words and my biggest pet peeve to read:

It's spelled "LOSE", people, not "LOOSE"!!!

YUP! Just remember the old saying: "I don't trust that guy--he's kind of a loose Canon.";)

This thread cracks me up. I am glad the only one I use is "shoot."

The "snaps" or "quick shot" irritates me all the time but when someone asks for C&C on a quick snap it really gets me. I just don't get it, it immediately puts a negative thought about the image. If someone wants critique on a photograph I should have the feeling they put more time into creating it then it will take for critique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back