Photojournalism Lenses

If you are talking about a Nikon, the 300mm f/2.8 VR is the best 300mm you can get, and you can forget about the monopod (unless you plan on shooting it for hours on end).

How do you figure that? Low light, slow shutter.. bound to have blur.

I shoot the 120-300 f/2.8 from sigma and i love it. For football i can stand sideline and get awsome shots of players. For soccer usually youd want 400-600mm, just throw on the 1.4 or 2x tele converter and you got 600mm at f/4.

not bad ehh. only $2600 compared to whats the 300 f/2.8.. liek $4000 or somthing?

How do you figure that? Low light, slow shutter.. bound to have blur.

I shoot the 120-300 f/2.8 from sigma and i love it. For football i can stand sideline and get awsome shots of players. For soccer usually youd want 400-600mm, just throw on the 1.4 or 2x tele converter and you got 600mm at f/4.

not bad ehh. only $2600 compared to whats the 300 f/2.8.. liek $4000 or somthing?

Man Keith.. for someone who hasn't even graduated from High School yet (class of 2009 according to your website).. you have a serious case of GAS (and perhaps wealthy parents). (Gear Acquisition Syndrome for those not familiar with the term).

When Alex_B said "use a monopod", I believe he was referring to the weight of the Canon 300mm f2.8L IS... it is heavy.

Say what every you want.. for pure image quality, I'd take the 300mm f2.8 canon anyday.

If you are talking about a Nikon, the 300mm f/2.8 VR is the best 300mm you can get, and you can forget about the monopod (unless you plan on shooting it for hours on end).

Sabbath.. you did realize that your post doesn't really make sense... this is a Canon thread. Unless you want to be guilty of sparking yet another Nikon versus Canon thread. BTW.. the 300mm f2.8L has image stabilization as well....

17-55

f/8 and be there.

usayit.. i wasnt stating you should not use a monopod.. sabbath clearly said "you can forget about a monopod" and thats when i said "How do you figure that?"

I was not controdicting anything alex b had to say about the 300mm lense...at all!

Yes i might not be graduated from highschool yet.. your point? im sure i know just as much, or more about photography then alot of people on this site. Ive attended undergrad college level classes for photography and have been shooting since i was 8. Have worked for a couple media companies locally and have had some decent jobs. Yea im a youngster.. and im still learning.. and still gaining experience. Age or graduation has nothing to do with your skill levels.

And on second though.. i take affense to "perhaps wealthy parents".. you realize how long and hard i had to work to beable to afford my gear?? I bought my camera and my 120-300 with my own money that i had saved up since i started selling lemonaid and cutting grass when i was about 6. I had to lifeguard for 4 years, wash cars at a dealership and work at a gym mopping the floors to pay for my ****. Maybe you should know somthing about someone before you make a slick little comment like that.

OOOOK i hear some hostility here. Keith, with the 120-300 at 120, can you get a shallow DOF? I getting into football and I figure, the more the range, the more area to get photos. Though the 300 would get much clearer photos... Price is wtber, Im taking a student loan for all my new gear anyways

O and BTW anyone use that Gary Fong Light Sphere? Any good?

Even at a 120mm focal length @ f/2.8 you should be able to get the shallow DOF you are looking for.

I've used the lightsphere.. it does work but no more or no less than other options that are far cheaper. A diffuser on a flash held off camera with a off shoe cord should work wonderfully. If you do a search, there are DIYselfers that have come up with some really great ideas... some cost pocket change.

Im taking a student loan for all my new gear anyways

grrr.. shouldn't student loans be used for school? It is still a debt that you will have to pay off... I'd highly recommend against accruing debt so early. It is a wonderful thing when you graduate debt free.. trust me...

Any aspiring photographer must recognize the importance of education. Coming out of high school affording and making it through college should be your number 1 concern.... not dropping thousands on a lens.

Robert Capa.. started out with far less.

just to clarify, yes, I was referring to the weight of the 300mm ... and even with lighter lenses like the 300mm f/4 a monopod is useful when you have to hold it horizontally for more than 1 hour ;)

Admittedly I love wide angle shots for almost everything. That includes Landscapes AND portraits. I rarely use the higher spectrum of my 18-55, but that's just my style. I often find myself wishing for more. I've taken very few photojournalism shots but they were always between 18 and 25.

Working_by_PossesedSmurf.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs19/i/2007/278/a/9/Working_by_PossesedSmurf.jpg

That image, for example was taken at 18mm, and I wished I could go slightly wider. It's nice to be in the action, and it's nice to show as much context as possible, like this one where he's 'at work'. Furthermore, I would purchase the 10-20 and a 35mm prime, and a 50-200 for my crop of my 110D.

Your camera, however has a full frame sensor. I believe.... So i would recommend the 70-200 for zoom, the 50 f/1.8 for 'walk around' and the 10-20 for wide. Whichever fits your style is great. Remember, Sigma makes amazing glass too.

Honestly there is a place for both lenses in your bag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back