Photos ALWAYS too dark!

CourtSC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm so frustrated!!! It seems like most of my photos end up being too dark! And I don't know enough to figure out how to fix it 'on the fly.' I've been shooting lots of birds lately, so there are a lot of shadows from tree cover, etc. Any advice on how to get a photo where I can actually see the subject?!? I'm super frustrated! Thanks!!!

Check to see if Exposure Compensation has been changed from 0.0.

Knowing what camera you have would help.

I have a Nikon D7100. And I guess I will need to read about Metering Modes...I don't know what that is! I'm clearly in over my head here! :cry:

I have a Nikon D7100. And I guess I will need to read about Metering Modes...I don't know what that is! I'm clearly in over my head here! :cry:

It may not be the meter mode. That's not the same as EC.

It may not be the meter mode. That's not the same as EC.
Unless the birds are backlit and the OP is shooting them with an evaluative metering mode. We really need to see an image with EXIF intact to tell.

My first guess would be Exposure Compensation.
I teach photography classes and about 20% of students show up to class with their cameras set with an exposure compensation of something other than zero....unbeknownst to them.

The next thing to consider is that your subject may be darker than whatever else is in the photo (the sky for example). So if your metering mode is looking at the bright areas, it will naturally give you a lower exposure, which will make your already darker subject, come out very dark. If this is the case, you would need to dial in more exposure, either with exposure compensation or in manual mode.

Nikon D7100 exposure adjustments are right near your shutter button with a plus/minus symbol and if you press that and turn you rear dial while looking at your rear LCD you will see it change.If your subject is dark and back ground is bright increase + in small steps until its light enough to see good exposure of it. What mode is your dial on?

Last edited:
I have been shooting in A mode. I have played around a bit with the exposure compensation button, but guess when I'm out there, I get flustered and don't know what I'm doing! Here's an example. Maybe I'm expecting too much and the lighting just isn't conducive to good shots??

I can't read the EXIF.

That picture is not that dark. If your trying to expose the branches with the bird in the shade you have to add exposure and You can't do that in the A mode. Put the Dial On the P and look at this video that may help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! I will try that! Thanks for the help! In my photo, I was wanting the bird to not be so dark...looks like I'll be doing lots of practice tomorrow!

That picture is not that dark. If your trying to expose the branches with the bird in the shade you have to add exposure and You can't do that in the A mode. Put the Dial On the P and look at this video that may help you.

Why can't you do it in "A"? In "A" the camera will adjust the shutter speed and iso...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Minor correction: You can't do that in AUTO mode. "A" mode is aperture priority mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back