Photoshoot with police troubles

sorry if someone already posted this - very informative.

Bert P. Krages Attorney at Law Photographer's Rights Page

granted - it was published in 2006, and it's one attorney's opinion, not sure anyone on here is actually an attorney, but it does state even in private areas no right to take your equipment.

This does appear, at face value, to be a fairly accurate, reasonable and unbiased reference material for people to use. Though it actually confirms many of the things I said, it also adds much more information that is relevant to the Average Joe situation. I'd be interested in reading his full book. Thanks for posting the link.

To walk inside a hospital and start taking photos for commercial use without permission is wrong. And inside a hospital, patients have a right to privacy.
It's only wrong if the hospital prohibits taking photos, however, it would be professional to check with hospital mangement before making any images.

Patients in common areas of the hospital, like hallways and lobbies, could not have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

The issue of reasonable expectation does not apply when people are patients. HIPAA rules say that a healthcare facility must take reasonable precautions to insure that the privacy of their patients is not violated. Since a hospital has no control over the use of pictures once outside the hospital, virtually every hospital forbids uncontrolled photography inside common areas. They make some allowances for inside patient rooms and places like nursery viewing suites but common areas - no.

Please refrain from doing this again. It gives us all a bad name. I'm not going to argue about what rights you have, but you have a responsibility to uphold decency in photographing subjects.

I suppose if you're a tourist taking snapshots. Like if you walk upon a bloody car wreck, do you whip out your camera and start taking photos of a dead body? My guess is most people here would feel it's 'not decent' to do it. But if you are a news photographer, or a photojournalist taking disaster photos, war photos, etc., I don't think there is such a thing as 'upholding decency' standards.

You take the shot THEN you decide if it's 'decent.' But NO ONE is taking my gear without taking me in with it. Arrest me or prepare to fight for any of my belongings. Private or pubic place. You're going to ask me to leave OR you are going to have to physically take it from me - good luck with that!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back