Photoshoots...JPEG or RAW ?

ADAMJAY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lets just say for an engagement shoot, you're going to be shooting for about an hour and giving your client the pics on a CD (not trying to sell prints or anything like that) Would you shoot in RAW or JPEG ?

Me, personally, I would shoot in JPEG that way it wouldn't take me forever to edit them. I would use Express Digital Darkroom and just adjust them a little, and be done with it. BUT, I am also some what new and can't charge an arm and a leg in my area just because EVERYONE knows someone that does photography and will get the "hook up" from a friend that does it.

Am I doing this wrong? should I be shooting RAW? For me I use lightroom when I shoot RAW, that would take me hours upon hours to edit each picture like that.

If that works for you then by all means shoot in JPEG. There's nothing wrong with it as long as your clients like your work.

If you're doing a good job with your camera, then your editing shouldn't take long at all.

I don't do many free shoots, but I always shoot RAW, no matter what. I want the capability later, just in case I need it.

If you can't decide, then just shoot RAW + JPG, then choose and use whatever works best for you later.

I would shoot RAW, edit the first photo of each new 'scene' and then sync to the others.

I would shoot RAW, edit the first photo of each new 'scene' and then sync to the others.
Not sure how to do that, but that might be a great idea. Thanks!

If that works for you then by all means shoot in JPEG. There's nothing wrong with it as long as your clients like your work.
Everyone has been happy with them, at least they say so lol
But I know, if I were to shoot in RAW and spend more time then they would be better. For me though it seems like it would take much much longer. Or at least the way I go about it, it would.

For Canon (not too sure about others brand), I will shoot RAW. If you like the effect or settings from the camera pre-programmed styles, you can upload the files to the computer and have the Canon software do a batch export. That will use whatever settings you set for the photos and save them in JPEG. However, if one of the photo you like to do more with post processing, you will have a better file to start from.

I shoot in raw quite a bit so if I forget to change over to jpg I sometimes need a quick fix. I put memory card in the laptop, bring up the nef files in Bridge, select them all and go to Tools - Photoshop - Image Processor.
When PS comes up you can select the size and quality of the jpg's and their location and push the button. All done.

It's a matter of knowing what will work which I think takes learning and experience.

Are you doing this wrong? I don't that there's necessarily a right or wrong but there is best practice.

Providing photos on a CD only isn't necessarily the best option. Underpricing isn't a good option. Doing what seems the most quick and easy doesn't sound like the way to develop this into a good business. If it takes hours to edit then your skill level seems to need improvement.

I think it seems necessary to be good enough to be competitive and develop good marketing and business skills. Look at American Society of Media Photographers or PPA to find info. for pro photographers.

Shoot RAW + JPEG, Fine compression, large or medium sized. Best of both words.

I shoot RAW. Jarod Polin (Fro Know Photo) shoots RAW. ;-)

RAW collects more data and doesn't flatten or normalize similar hues or tones which results in a loss of data -- harming adjustment latitude. You can do so much more with RAW.

I was a bit surprised when you commented that it would take "hours upon hours" to process each image if you shoot RAW. This made me wonder what you could possibly be doing that would take so long. I can edit RAW images FASTER than JPEG. RAW is easier to adjust. Tools such as Lightroom really streamline the process even faster because you can sync global adjustments to an entire shoot (everything shot in the same lighting) at once.

I shoot RAW. Jarod Polin (Fro Know Photo) shoots RAW. ;-)

RAW collects more data and doesn't flatten or normalize similar hues or tones which results in a loss of data -- harming adjustment latitude. You can do so much more with RAW.

I was a bit surprised when you commented that it would take "hours upon hours" to process each image if you shoot RAW. This made me wonder what you could possibly be doing that would take so long. I can edit RAW images FASTER than JPEG. RAW is easier to adjust. Tools such as Lightroom really streamline the process even faster because you can sync global adjustments to an entire shoot (everything shot in the same lighting) at once.

Ok, I exaggerated on the "hours upon hours" lol
I need to get off this forum and learn how to sync the adjustments!

Jpeg = the Camera telling you what "it" thinks you want.

RAW is "you" telling the camera what you actually want in post.

Jpeg is compressed, meaning it ejects what it doesn't need and that info is gone forever. You can only edit a Jpeg so far before it becomes distorted. RAW is uncompressed and stores more information...sometimes more than you knew. If you don't nail the image right in Jpeg, too bad, you have to live with it. RAW gives you plenty of room to maneuver later in post incase you didn't nail the image.

Anyhow, I used to shoot exclusively in Jpeg because I was new and didn't really understand editing RAW files. Today I only shoot in RAW and it has saved me many many times over. Not only does it save me, it's ability to capture information I'm not expecting is a huge bonus!

I am with everyone else for the most part. Generally I shoot RAW. BUT, I won't waste much time on tight wads. If they want it cheap, they get it cheap! For those I would shoot RAW, do a batch conversion to jpg and you get what you get. No PP work, no fancy-schmancy, be thankful they even got photos. Any processing they pay for. Your time, equipment and knowledge has value. If they don't pay for it, they don't get it. But that is just my feelings on the subject. Others may not agree with me.

Most reactions

Back