Photoshop CS6 Iris Blur tool!

OscarWilde

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Definitely my favorite (new) tool in CS6 so far!

This is just a really quick before and after of a photo I used the Iris Blur tool on! With more practice and the right photo this will definitely be a really useful tool!

Before:
7011258999_f3099405ac_b.jpg

After:
6865143042_f6bd54bb26_b.jpg

Oh.No.

I can only pray that there won't be an influx of faux DoF enthusiasts now. lol

Oh.No.

Exactly.. it will be really useful for those that don't know how to do it the right way! I can think of several members that will love it!

They should rename it the "Lensbaby Effect" tool..

haha, fair enough gentlemen! It definitely is going to produce a whole new genre of fauxtogs; but even the most experience photographer could make good use of it.

For example, you just didn't see the shot in the moment; not because you couldn't you just didn't notice. It would enable you to apply it later with at least some degree of realism. Because it does look at least somewhat genuine! And it is an interesting tool for them to add!

I saw the shot, I would have used the right tools to take it. lol

...but hey, this will greatly help those who start their wedding photography career after visiting Best Buy for a camera... ohhh, wait, I forgot many of them still use free editing programs.

Last edited:
I saw the shot, I would have used the right tools to take it. lol

...but hey, this will greatly help those who start their wedding photography career after visiting Best Buy for a camera... ohhh, wait, I forgot many of them still use free editing programs.

"I Saw the shot, I would have used the right tools to take it" Are you saying I didn't? I wasn't implying that this shot needed it? I like it just fine with out it. It was also one of a ton of shots and it happened to not end up with the depth of field I was looking for. So I tested the tool on it.

I'm not sure if you were actually attempting to insult me... but it was unnecessary either way.

If you're super human and don't ever end up with a single picture that isn't what you were hoping for then good for you. But not everyone is and those who aren't, may make use of a tool like this. Along with the many others!

It isn't any different than any other post processing tool, it just does something that is simple to achieve with a camera. But simple doesn't mean it always works out the way you want...

I don't think that was aimed at you.. but wow, are you sensitive or what? lol!

I haven't downloaded CS6 beta and played with this yet, but the transition
here between the guides seems a bit rapid to me. I think it would be more
gradual with actual DoF from a lens.

Yeah, I would agree with you; although you can alter the intensity of the blur, how gradual it is, the direction, the size, the bokeh... etc. Its pretty "diverse" if you actually take the time :p which I didn't!

@ CGipson: Meh, not sensitive :p Just don't appreciate unwarranted comments towards me. I know I'm a beginner, but that doesn't grant permission to make fun of me. And like I said, I wasn't sure if he even was, but the internet leaves a LOT of room for confused comments :p

rexbobcat said:
Oh.No.

Topo late!!

Jeez, CS6 already? I have only had CS5 for like 2 years now. I am sure there is not enough earth shatteringly new in it to run out and get the upgrade.

Actually, just the new User Interface is "earth shattering" enough. It's soooooo much better and looks much slicker, thats even before the new features! :)

You can download and use the full CS6 Beta HERE and use it until they release the final version. I think you'll like it.

CS6 is available as of Today!

A comment on the blur/fake DOF tool. It seems that Adobe is continuing to follow what some smaller companies are going...which is actually a pretty good strategy. I bought Topaz Remask (a plug-in) for masking. But the new selection tools introduced in CS5 are very close to Remask. I also have Topaz Lens Effects, which looks to be pretty close to this new Iris blur tool.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back