Photoshop or Corel

Mrs.Albert77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've used both. Found things I like and dislike about them.

What do you use to edit your photos, and why did you choose that instead of the other programs?

Photoshop. I use it because i've been using it for 15 years and already have it on my computer.

I've used both. Found things I like and dislike about them.

What do you use to edit your photos, and why did you choose that instead of the other programs?

Corel PaintShop Pro X2 is better than Photoshop Elements but not as detailed and complete as Photoshop C3. However as a $100 program Corel woud hardly be expected to match a $700 + program such as Photoshop C3.

Bottom line is that it will be easier for some to learn and handle Corel PaintShop Pro X2 than Photoshop and the results will be better than with Photoshop Elements.

skieur

I use The Gimp, because it's free XD. But if I was to go pro and needed a good image editing app, then I'd probably go with Photoshop. I dunno, it just seems easier to use and PS seems to be the standard image editor. I might get Paint Shop Pro if anything particularly sticks out that blasts PS out of the water. (that's the second time I've said that in 10 posts, I really should stop :D)

hmmm...thanks for the feedback.

I really love the PS C3, but it's a bit steep for me price wise for now. I used the free download, and also used it in a studio that I use to work for. So, what I'm trying to say is that I'm not worried about the complexity.
One thing I haven't been able to figure out with Corel (probably b/c I've only used it once most recently) is, does it allow you to make the pic B&W and then bring back the color like the PS C3 does? I know to do that with the PS C3 I would use the history tool, but I don't think Elements, or Corel has a history tool...unless it's been cleverly hiding from me.

Thanks in advance for any info! :wink:

One thing I haven't been able to figure out with Corel (probably b/c I've only used it once most recently) is, does it allow you to make the pic B&W and then bring back the color like the PS C3 does? I know to do that with the PS C3 I would use the history tool, but I don't think Elements, or Corel has a history tool...unless it's been cleverly hiding from me.

I'm not sure I understand this. If you save your work with another file name, you should still have the original, no?

Hmm.. I guess a simple "Undo" would get your image back to colour. I'm not sure what the history tool exactly does, though.

Hmm.. I guess a simple "Undo" would get your image back to colour. I'm not sure what the history tool exactly does, though.

Photoshop only has one "undo" The history palette lets you move back and forth between your work history while the file is open.. so in a sense it's multiple undos, or you can go back to the very beginning before you changed anything. You can set the number of undos. I have mine set for 20 for example, so that's 20 steps backwards I could go compared to the one "command+Z = Undo"

Aperture 2.0 (note avatar)....very good organizational and editing capabilities.....

hmmm...thanks for the feedback.

I really love the PS C3, but it's a bit steep for me price wise for now. I used the free download, and also used it in a studio that I use to work for. So, what I'm trying to say is that I'm not worried about the complexity.

Corel Paint Shop Pro has a history tool in the Palettes pull down menu section.

skieur

I got Paint Shop Pro because it was cheaper and, at the time, I didn't intend to get very ambitious with my photos. I've never used Photoshop so I have no basis for comparison. It's not often that I read about doing something with Photoshop, though, that I can't do with the Corel program.

I use both. For those not familiar with Paint Shop Pro, the tools and operation are quite similar to PhotoShop without the same sort of range, precision and variation.

It basically comes down to, whether you are an enthusiast or a professional, if you want to make good, quick, quality improvements and use plug-ins too, then PaintShop Pro will meet your needs.

If on the other hand, you are in to top quality blow-ups for gallery display, posters, or for very demanding art directors or competition judges, then Photoshop will certainly give you the tools to meet those needs. Also of course, if you like to spend lots of time doing postprocessing on a computer then it is certainly possible with Photoshop as well.

The speed of PaintShop Pro and plug-ins meets my needs for a lot of work and Photoshop for the more demanding work.

skieur

I use CS myself but, I have been using Photoshop for many years. I am using Capture NX too now. Im kind of getting used to it.

Most reactions

Back