Picking First DSLR Camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by shuemer, Jun 26, 2017.

?

What camera should I buy?

1. Nikon D3400

2. Canon EOS Rebel T5

3. Canon EOS Rebel SL1

4. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FITBMX

FITBMX Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The D3400 sounds like it maybe the way to go, the better sensor will be a nice improvement.
    My camera (the only one I have ever had) is a Canon T3i, I have had it three years next Christmas. I have used the heck out of it, and haven't had a single problem of any sort of any sort. So I wouldn't worry about the quality of the Canon, mine has been outstanding!
    But I would probably go with the D3400. Good luck on picking a camera, it is always a hard choice picking new gear. :)

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

It's not even close picture quality wise. D3400 much better in color, dynamic range, low light. The Canon is a 3 year old model itself, using older technology. But if you like the touch screen, and need to stay in the price point. It may be better for you. For just a little more you can Move into a much better Nikon with touch screen. The current model is D5600, and D5500 still out there. Both will out perform the Canon. I think the D5600 is about $150 more than similar D3400 kits.

3. shuemer

shuemer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm ok the D3400 and the Canon SL1 are actually the same price on amazon ($500) so if the photo quality is so much better, it makes sense to get the D3400 it seems! Thanks for the insight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. shuemer

shuemer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Update: I was able to stop into Best Buy this evening and have decided to purchase the Canon SL1. Its interface is easy to read, it is extremely lightweight and comfortable (which I love), the photo/video quality is quite good (for a beginner's camera), and it seems like a good fit for my lifestyle. (Though it was a close contender with the Nikon d3400!)

Thank you to everyone in this forum for answering my questions and giving me helpful suggestions! I will definitely keep the other cameras mentioned in mind for future purchases down the road. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I recommend you follow your own preference rather than the preferences of others. You are more likely to be happy with the choice. All modern DSLR's make excellent images.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm uncertain if your post was meant to convey that you've already made the purchase... or you're about to make the purchase.

Canon is about to announce the SL2. That announcement is expected tomorrow although the camera won't likely be available for another month before anyone can actually buy one.

Here's the list of specs per the rumor website: Full Specifications for the Canon EOS Rebel SL2

7. shuemer

shuemer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have made the purchase, but I am waiting for it to come in the mail. And thanks for the info! It's unlikely I would be able to afford the SL2 when it does come out though, haha. I might look into it though in a couple of years when I would like to upgrade.

8. FITBMX

FITBMX Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I am sure it will work out great for you! :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Best Buy is a lot more aggressive with pricing on cameras and electronics (online completion )
    (the rumored SL2 looks good but probably won't be available for a couple of months)

• Like Like x 1