Pics inside a cave, please critque

bhardy501

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I went to a local park and took some pics just playing around. These were taken inside a cave at Cave Spring GA. I really liked the colors in there. I only had the pop up flash and shot in auto mode, I havent learned enough about manual settings, esp. in settings like inside a cave. So I had fish under water (another post) and then inside a cave.

$024.jpg $030.jpg $020.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy the color mixture n the light of the flash camera made the background dark while front shinning... Nice pics

Will do the space, thanks. Thanks good the good words, adaptable.

Last edited:
Caves are challenging to shoot because well, they are dark. If you use the pop up flash it tends to compress the image and you lose most of the depth. So a lot of cave photography is done with off camera flash.
If it's not a commercial cave you can also set you camera on a rock and light paint, can look pretty cool.
If it is a commercial cave they *usually* set up the lighting to be as dramatic as possible. So if you can shoot high ISO on your camera that is also a decent option.

Hope that helps. Caves are beautiful places, remember to protect them!

The cave has some lighting in it but it isnt set up for effect, just to see where you are going and whats inside. These shots were in areas where there was very little ambient light. I want to get a different flash for my camera. There was a few places that the auto focus wouldnt target anything. I am still learning the camera and utilize auto features but am about ready to get out and try some manual pics.

You're off to a great start. I'm learning too. Keep at it

Off camera flash will serve you well. Peek at the tutorials at strobist.com

The nature of the subject is what makes them successful to me, not so much your composition and lighting.

If there is very little available light you can also use a tripod and shoot long exposures. Your subject isn't going anywhere.

If there is very little available light you can also use a tripod and shoot long exposures. Your subject isn't going anywhere.

Every shoot I go on, my tripod comes right along as well. 90% of all my pictures have been shot with it.

That is another thing I need to acquire. I dont have a tripod yet. Added to the list which is growing quickly.

That is another thing I need to acquire. I dont have a tripod yet. Added to the list which is growing quickly.

A $30 tripod and LED headlamp would serve you well here as a cheap option for light painting. Strobes can be expensive if your budget limited.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back