Please critique pic from the shoot yesterday

davepit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I quickly ran a pic from the shoot yesterday through photoshop, but am not sure about it. The girl looks good but doesn't have the powerful look in her eyes which I think would have really made the picture work. Also, I'm not sure about the wall on the left of the picture - too blue for my taste I think. But I'm inclined to be a perfectionist and I need to know when to stop (or when not to polish a turd!)

I styled the picture after a lingerie shoot I saw in Russian Vogue last month.

Was very impressed with the girl actually, she had extraordinary composure and control of her body, even though she had never modelled before. She looked after herself too - I didn't need to do any liquify work in photoshop, except a small breast reduction. Hoping to shoot her again sometime.

IMG_7821_Edit.jpg

The forums are compressing the picture - here it is in a proper size: http://www.fashion-photographer.org/tests/xenia/content/IMG_7821_Edit_large.html

i like but i hate the flash shine on the wall left corner also a reflector might have soften the shadow under her cin

I didn't need to do any liquify work in photoshop, except a small breast reduction. Hoping to shoot her again sometime.

Why would anyone ever do that >.<

Last edited:
i like but i hate the flash shine on the wall left corner also a reflector might have soften the shadow under her cin

I agree re. the flash shine, but what's wrong with the shadow under her chin? A reflector would have softened the light all around, and I would have lost the definition which resulted from using quite a hard light.

This one really doesn't work for me. Lighting issues aside, it's taken square on, she's in the middle of the frame... It's what I would expect to see as a specimen photo in a text-book. Try for some angles, something closer (we don't care about the nicely paneled wood walls, really, we don't!).

too much dead space... the subject is too tiny. You talk about her eyes "powerful look".. but unless this was printed at poster size or larger, you wouldn't hardly be able to see her eyes! Personally don't care for the shoes either.. lol! You can have good definition without hard shadows.. hard lighting is almost never a good thing (except maybe grunge, warehouse type fashion shots). Like tirediron mentions above... composition is boring...

Looking at it something was throwing me off and i couldnt figure it out. Tirediron and cgipson1 nailed it though. Me personally I would of tried to setup at the foot the couch and snapped a few looking up at her.

too much dead space... the subject is too tiny. You talk about her eyes "powerful look".. but unless this was printed at poster size or larger, you wouldn't hardly be able to see her eyes! Personally don't care for the shoes either.. lol! You can have good definition without hard shadows.. hard lighting is almost never a good thing (except maybe grunge, warehouse type fashion shots). Like tirediron mentions above... composition is boring...

agreed. well said. thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back