NSFW-ish - Pregnant Model PP for C&C

oldmacman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mcavoyphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I took some of the suggestions from yesterday and tried my hand at PPing a few of the images from the mat... er, pregnancy portraits. I was going for a softer, less dark mood. Dark is my my personality and I tend to lean that way in photos. Let me know what you think.

mila-37.jpg

mila-39.jpg

mila-40.jpg

Honestly, I much prefer the color and straight B&W conversions from yesterday. That's not to say these are bad, they just don't do as much for me.

This may be my noob side, or my dark side, as well but the first thing I thought of when I saw these was death. Especially #2, she almost looks like a ghost. I think the expression on her face of also one of sorrow, not joy as you would expect from a new mother. the expression in #3 reminds of an expression of depression, or maybe just really deep thought, disconnected.

Honestly, I much prefer the color and straight B&W conversions from yesterday. That's not to say these are bad, they just don't do as much for me.

Yeah, fair enough. It's not in my comfort zone either, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. FWIW, my wife likes these processed ones more than the darker images from the first post. This is not my wife BTW. I'm too old to be thinking about another child in the brood.

This may be my noob side, or my dark side, as well but the first thing I thought of when I saw these was death. Especially #2, she almost looks like a ghost. I think the expression on her face of also one of sorrow, not joy as you would expect from a new mother. the expression in #3 reminds of an expression of depression, or maybe just really deep thought, disconnected.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate your thoughts.

I think a lot of people would say that the "glamour glow" look is overdone. Kinda like selective color. But in both cases, if it's done well, it works well. My thoughts on glamour glow, or soft focus if you prefer: When there is evidence of a strong light source, I feel it works best. I also feel it works best with B&W, but that's probably a personal preference thing. With that in mind, #'s 1 and 3 work the best as there is evidence of a strong light source on her right side. Having seen your shots posted yesterday, though, really biases me towards them, I simply prefer them over these. I would like to add, the shots you've posted yesterday and today are certainly a huge cut above the normal ma, er, uh, I mean, pregnancy shots, we normally see. So, well done, you. :thumbup:

As a woman with children and having been there and done that... why do moms to be do this? I get that Demi started it for a cover and attention and what ever but...why? Any insight by photogs on why ladies like doing these kinds of shoots?

Agree the black and white is not a good idea.

As a woman with children and having been there and done that... why do moms to be do this? I get that Demi started it for a cover and attention and what ever but...why? Any insight by photogs on why ladies like doing these kinds of shoots?

Well, if my wife's perspective is any insight, I think it's the fascination with the changes in your body and how you change emotionally as well as physically. We have shots of my wife to help remember how far the body goes to bring new life into the world; they help to remind her how she was feeling and the excitement of bringing new life into the world. Part of it is a sacrifice I suppose. For some people, it's a once in a lifetime thing and we want to remember those moments. Why do we record anything that we do? I happen to think this young woman is absolutely striking in her beauty. Who wouldn't want to a memory of that. Maybe it was instinctive, but I remember when my wife felt her most pregnant, she was never more beautiful to me and I treasured the 9 month sacrifice she made (5 times btw).

Not sure what you mean by, "Agree the black and white is not a good idea."

I would guess that not all women subscribe to the puritanical American belief that nudity is shameful and the only time you should be nude is when you bathe. Some women are very comfortable with the notion that the human form is beautiful.

I have photos of my first while quite pregnant. They were not by others. I know how I felt in my skin so I don't need a man to tell me how I felt. I did ask for insight in how photographers felt if they knew why posing was important to the subject.

So did you answer like a photog or did you answer like a father or did up you answer like a man?

Did you answer why pregnant women pose while pregnant?

To the question if b&w, I don't think the new set of b&w set the tone. FWIW

Last edited:
I have photos of my first while quite pregnant. They were not by others. I know how I felt in my skin so I don't need a man to tell me how I felt. I did ask for insight in how photographers felt if they knew why posing was important to the subject.

So did you answer like a photog or did you answer like a father or did up you answer like a man?

Your tone seems angry, so I will try not to stir the pot on what seems to be a sensitive issue.

I am all three things: a man, a father and a photographer. I think all three perspectives have a hand in how my response was formulated.

Wooooooooooooooooooo!

Bring out the snark, baby! It's time to get the whoop on. :lol:

Please keep your attitude in check, the OP did his best to answer your question, your response seems overly aggessive and really, how is he suppose to know the answer to your vague question.

To the OP, i quite like these, they have a kind of ethereal effect, it may be worth seeing if the model likes this look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back