Please critique

nightangel73

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
qz3q0z.jpg

16knklt.jpg

Ok guys what can I do with this low light situation? Will I need to buy a speedlight flash for this?

camera is Olympus Evolt

Tripod and slower shutter speed if you are not going to be using any kind of flash. For most photos of friends/family, you would want to use a flash indoors many times. And you might even find it useful for fill-in shots outside.

Example:
a%3E

well, you've got the ISO jacked up to about as much as you can w/o losing image quality. The exif states that you were already at 1600. Your aperture was at 5.6 on both so I'm going to guess that's as wide as it will go and maybe you were on a kit lens? Both were at 42mm though, so it seems that you should've had another stop or two to open it up, but only you know the answer to that. You were shooting in aperture priority though, so you may have another couple of stops that you could open up the aperture to let more light in maybe. Your choices for better light is to either get a faster lens like a 50mm prime maybe with a max aperture of 1.8 or better yet 1.4 or to use a nice flash. Looks like your white balance was off in both of these as well.

Either will allow for a lower ISO which will result in less noise.

Get an external flash. It will give you way more flexibility shooting family indoors. You just have to get more light on to the subjects. You have your settings on the camera as good as you can probably get in these situations.
This site has been recommended by many, many people here and it is a great place to start learning about lights and lighting.
http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back