Please Critque/Help with Night Photography

digital flower

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
digitalflowerpictures.com
These came out okay but I would like to try and be better at setting the up the camera at night. Any comments/critques/help would be appreciated about the settings or composition.

#1 Danbury Airport CoolPix 8400 4 sec/ F/4.9
danburtairport1ppf.jpg

#2 Danbury Train Station D70s 3 sec/ F/11
danburytrainstationprpf.jpg

#3 Ridgefield, CT USA Coolix8400 8 sec./ F/7.9
ridgefieldnite1ppf.jpg

#4 Ridgefield, CT USA Coolix8400 8 sec./ F/7.3
ridgefiels2niteppf.jpg

Well, myself, with what little knowledge I have, I can't tell you anything more than what you have already done. You see the lovely star you got out of the lamps at the railroad with choosing a small aperture. Also f7.9 produces nice stars.

The airport photo could have done with a bit more of exposure time, I think.

But from now on the experts must speak. I am none of those...

LaFoto thanks for the comments they were quite helpful. I always have trouble with the aperture settings/rules at night.

Also sorry about this post having several photographs in it. I read the post guidelines after:blushing:

Actually, I think you will have a larger response (and it would go better with the guidelines to this very forum here, i.e. Critique) if I moved these over to the General Gallery. Many more people will see them there.

Now all that must happen is: people must see this and reply by the dozen ;)

Nice shots, I like #2 the best. A great Photo. #1 looks like you could have used a smaller aperture and a bit more time. The last two are pretty good as well. Very nice over all.

#1 is really nice. Based on the moon I think you grabbed about as much light as there was to get. Nice colors.

#2 is my favorite. I think you nailed the exposure with that shot, but I would try it with a more open aperature to try to reduce the star effect on the lamp. Some shots I like it but in this one I find it a bit distracting, but thats just me :)

#3 could have used a bit more exposure I think. I like the shot but again the star patterns tend to pull my eye up and away from the more interesting street scene.

#4 is the other shot that I really like. I think you did a very good job on this shot.

Seeing these shots makes me want to grab my camera and run right out and take some pictures.. but its 7:50 in the morning and I have a full day of work ahead of me first hehe

Nice one for #2, my fav :thumbup: :thumbup: But I agree, the star effect is a little to extreme. I love that kind of shots, the lighting gives the place something mystical. Good work

Give us more information on the pics, Like ISO speed and Exposure compensation.
I really like shot 2!!

Thanks to everyone for taking a look and commenting.

HoboSyke said:
Give us more information on the pics, Like ISO speed and Exposure compensation.

Thanks for asking this. This is a little embarrassing as when I looked at the settings I see that on #2 and the 2 new photos I left my camera on the settings I had been using that afternoon (oops) and was just setting the shutter time and letting the camera do the aperture.

#2. 200 ISO -.3 EV comp., that is wrong, right?
Noise reduction was on 2-5-6

The CoolPix 8400 pictures (1-3-4) I had the ISO set to auto, and the noise reduction off (NR should have been on?).
#1. no ev comp
#3. -.3 ev
#4. +.3 ev

When I went to look at the settings I processed these 2 pictures.

#5 ISO 200 8 sec./ F/25 EV-.3
ridgefieldnightredppf.jpg

#6 ISO 200 6 sec/ F/18 EV -.3
ridgefieldniterwbtreeppf.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back