Please help: Best sub $400 Digital?

geekling

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First realize that, while technically competent, I don't know as much as I would like to about cameras.

My girlfriend is starting her graphic design degree next semester. I want to get her a suitable camera that has all the features she needs but can't really spend more than $400. I would love to get her a D-SLR, but I realize that's probably out of the question. What would be the best camera I can get a hold of for this price range?

Nikon D40.

Review of D40

Pictures taken with the D40

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000KJQ1DG/ref=pd_cp_p__map"]CLICK![/ame]

And BTW, I Just started perusing my Graphic Deisgn Degree this semester! It's a BLAST so far!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Adam, I really appreciate your help.

I was looking at the D40 before, but the 6.1MP kinda scared me off. Is this not rather poor for a modern camera? Also, the $400 was hopefully an absolute top (I'm going to be working overtime for a month just to get that amount). What would she loose if I got something more like a Canon PowerShot SX10?

Megapixel's dont really have too much to do with how great a picture turns out, but 6.1 is plenty. Check out some of those pics on Flickr.

I'm not much of a Canon fan, But with that particular camera, you dont have the option to upgrade/change your glass (lens). Most everyone will agree with me that a lens is actually far more important than the camera body. If you buy a lens, you can use it for many, MANY years to come with the new and improved camera bodies that come out. I just noticed that the MSRP on that Canon is $399, I realize that you could probably get it cheaper then that, but just do your research first. I would chose the D40 over any $400 camera on the market. Unless you find a used D60 or D80 for around that price.

I was looking at the D40 before, but the 6.1MP kinda scared me off. Is this not rather poor for a modern camera?
No, 6.1 MP is plenty. I printed an 8x10 from a this 2-minute exposure (minus the border) and it looks flawless:

With the exception of a couple of film scans, all of the photos on my site were taken with my D40.

What would she loose if I got something more like a Canon PowerShot SX10?
Depth of field control (an extremely useful artistic tool), ability to take long exposures, the ability to properly shoot anything that moves, good flash exposure, overall control and ISO noise performance are a few things that come to mind.

Last edited:
6.1 MP is plenty. Noise performance is pretty good. I printed an 8x10 from a this 2-minute exposure and it looks flawless:

With the exception of a couple of film scans, all of the photos on my site were taken with my D40.

2 Minutes...Must have been a VERY calm night! Makes me want to go outside and shoot some night time snow pics while theres still a foot on the ground.

2 Minutes...Must have been a VERY calm night! Makes me want to go outside and shoot some night time snow pics while theres still a foot on the ground.
Calm, but flipping cold. Although, I think, at those temperatures (it was probably -20C or so that evening), it might actually improve sensor/noise performance ;)

Well, if it really makes that much of a difference, I guess I have little choice. I now foresee the selling of my beloved Stratocaster. Oh well, CS majors like myself aren't supposed to be cool like that anyway.

Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate the advice.

Keep the Fender, Take out a small loan for the camera, and pay it off ASAP. Best Buy had 18 months 0% Financing on their card, that would be cake to pay off ~ $400. And when you can pay it off, that looks great on your credit!

Most reactions

Back