Please help...Panasonic LX5 or Zs7 or other?

jaclyn30

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I would love some insight on this topic. I'm looking to (mega) upgrade from a little Fuji Finepix. The main purpose of this camera will be for my three month trip to France and Germany, beginning this April. I'm in no way a pro, and will be mostly shooting in auto-mode... but I'm still an artistic person and I want a camera with excellent photo quality, AND I intend to blow-up several of the pictures to poster size.

I love the 12x zoom on the Zs7... but it seems so many of features on the LX5 stand out: wider aperture for better low light, larger sensor, RAW ability, etc. However, it has such a small optical zoom! It's barely more than my ole Fuji. Is this very important? Is a 3.8 optical zoom enough for my trip?

I'm completely open to suggestions for camera purchases that are NOT these two models. I will buy any brand; I just want whatever will best meet my needs. I'm looking to spend $350 or less (but that can be used off of Amazon or E-bay.)

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
wink.gif

Thank you!

Jaclyn

I have the LX5 and can't say enough about it. Ya, there are a few really small things that could be better. For most images, the 24-90mm range is just perfect IMO! And having 24mm on the wide end is just awesome too :) Video is really nice as well. Having full manual controls for video/photo is WIN as well. I can take the LX5 with me in place of my DSLR and be confident that i will be taking pictures that will satisfy me.

My vote goes for the LX5. I would take the nice quality low aperture lens over the 12x (probably) crap zoom of the ZS7.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back