Please judge and give me your honest opinion.(NSFW)

How could they be better?

• Total voters

Mandy Love

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please judge and give me your honest opinion.
IMG_0108 2.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0108 2.JPG IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0108 2.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0108 2.JPG IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0244.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 204
Not to be rude, but.

Your photos are blurry and soft. You really need a solid understanding of how exposure works. Good luck and have fun.

I have a consultation with a professional photographer monday to get some high quality photos taken. Thank you for your input.

I'm for real... I am very serious about wanting to be able to do better.

You said you have a consultation with a professional photographer to have photos taken - so do you want to do better at taking the pictures or at modeling?

I agree that the pictures are blurry and noisy. You need to understand lighting better. In terms of composition, the backgrounds are cluttered and distracting. You need to pay attention to everything that is in the photo, not just the model.

Both... taking my own pictures and (maybe not on point in this forum) modeling. Thank you for your advice.

Both... taking my own pictures and (maybe not on point in this forum) modeling. Thank you for your advice.

Spend some time looking at other threads in the People Photography forum. You'll pick up a lot of ideas for composition and lighting.

Like Limr said. There's so much information available. Just click and read. And feel free to ask questions. We all love to nerd out on photography. LOL

• I an ADHD so...
  • Too many hobbies huh?
  • If doing interesting things before chores stress you out, consider setting a time to stop as well as a time to start.
  • Give yourself permission to do things badly. Read half a book. Write a ridiculously sentimental poem. Listen to that record while you're putting the dishes away, rather than giving the music your undivided attention.
  • Invoke other people. Invite folks over for craft day. Make a birthday card for a friend. Join a writer's workshop, if you're into that kind of thing.
  • Track the energy you're putting into your day job, and try to match big projects with times that work is less mentally demanding.

I'm thoroughly confused. But as others have said, practice composition and lighting. Start simple.

You would also probably benefit from a better camera.

I am getting the gist about lighting and composition being so important. As for the use of a quality camera, that is why I am seeking out the services of a professional photographer. Not sure why you would at all be confused by my ambition, but maybe it is worth trying to explain: Obviously I am a TV. I have been in transition since I was 9 years old. It has been easy for me, especially in my younger years, before I ballooned up to 240 lbs. At 6'2" with that kind of weight, I am impossibly able to be passable. I stand out in a crowd like some kind of amazonian prodigy. I look more like a prototypical linebacker playing in the NFL. That said, at this point in my life, at the age of 48, I want to somehow capture, preserve or save the embodiment of the other me that I refer to as Mandy. As I get older, this gig is getting harder and harder to pull off. I consider myself a magician that is presenting an illusion. But it is a fleeting endeavor. I simply want to create or capture some images that I can save and cherish for the remaining years of my life. I know this all may seem silly to some, but this is a very important thing to me to accomplish. Sorry to be so dramatic. I hope you understand.

I am getting the gist about lighting and composition being so important. As for the use of a quality camera, that is why I am seeking out the services of a professional photographer. Not sure why you would at all be confused by my ambition, but maybe it is worth trying to explain: Obviously I am a TV. I have been in transition since I was 9 years old. It has been easy for me, especially in my younger years, before I ballooned up to 240 lbs. At 6'2" with that kind of weight, I am impossibly able to be passable. I stand out in a crowd like some kind of amazonian prodigy. I look more like a prototypical linebacker playing in the NFL. That said, at this point in my life, at the age of 48, I want to somehow capture, preserve or save the embodiment of the other me that I refer to as Mandy. As I get older, this gig is getting harder and harder to pull off. I consider myself a magician that is presenting an illusion. But it is a fleeting endeavor. I simply want to create or capture some images that I can save and cherish for the remaining years of my life. I know this all may seem silly to some, but this is a very important thing to me to accomplish. Sorry to be so dramatic. I hope you understand.

Thanks for that Mandy, it helps a lot on how to respond. Before I start, forgive me if I use the wrong terms, I'm not good at PC and I'm going to be honest.
In my 63 years I've lived and visited many places in the world and the only TVs I've seen that could come anywhere near to carrying it off were Asian. My brother in law (now my sister in law) is post surgery, frankly she doesn't carry it off at all well. Among Western male TVs the build, jawline and the hands are a dead giveaway. When my sister in law revealed his intentions my wife and her older sister asked Sandra "Why?" (he'd always been a very smart and handsome man) she replied "I just want to be a beautiful woman." They both replied "Us too! .. and we've got an advantage over you and still can't!" By the way, we all accept her as is, she's still the same great person.

You have a big plus in that you seem to be realistic. Good! Forget the selfies, good selfies are hard to do even if you have thousands of £/$ worth of kit. Go with the pro!

I remember a few years ago being in a supermarket near Liverpool and at the checkout was a very obvious, middle aged, 6' tall T.V. ... BUT she had great makeup and hair, wore a classy knee length black dress, pearls, seamed stockings and patent leather heels. She walked proudly and confidently. I'm straight as the proverbial but even so I could recognise class when I saw it and I've remembered that for a long time with a positive attitude rather than cringing. My advice is to go for the classic look. Most men don't have a clue about hair and make up, get those done professionally by someone who knows their stuff. Be confident, be proud and don't try to be a cartoon style, over exaggerated barbie doll (not implying that that's your look).

I wish you luck ... and I'd add that getting older isn't all bad! :)

Thanks for that Mandy, it helps a lot on how to respond. Before I start, forgive me if I use the wrong terms, I'm not good at PC and I'm going to be honest.
In my 63 years I've lived and visited many places in the world and the only TVs I've seen that could come anywhere near to carrying it off were Asian. My brother in law (now my sister in law) is post surgery, frankly she doesn't carry it off at all well. Among Western male TVs the build, jawline and the hands are a dead giveaway. When my sister in law revealed his intentions my wife and her older sister asked Sandra "Why?" (he'd always been a very smart and handsome man) she replied "I just want to be a beautiful woman." They both replied "Us too! .. and we've got an advantage over you and still can't!" By the way, we all accept her as is, she's still the same great person.

You have a big plus in that you seem to be realistic. Good! Forget the selfies, good selfies are hard to do even if you have thousands of £/$ worth of kit. Go with the pro!

I remember a few years ago being in a supermarket near Liverpool and at the checkout was a very obvious, middle aged, 6' tall T.V. ... BUT she had great makeup and hair, wore a classy knee length black dress, pearls, seamed stockings and patent leather heels. She walked proudly and confidently. I'm straight as the proverbial but even so I could recognise class when I saw it and I've remembered that for a long time with a positive attitude rather than cringing. My advice is to go for the classic look. Most men don't have a clue about hair and make up, get those done professionally by someone who knows their stuff. Be confident, be proud and don't try to be a cartoon style, over exaggerated barbie doll (not implying that that's your look).

I wish you luck ... and I'd add that getting older isn't all bad! :)

I'd like to second this advice - it's something I'd been thinking of as well. In addition to consulting a professional photographer, consider consulting a make-up artist as well, and maybe a stylist. In the earnestness to adopt a feminine look, it is easy to take it too far, which can then border on caricature. Here I must invoke the timeless wisdom of one Coco Chanel: less is more, darling :)

Edit: And fwiw, your ambition to get good photos of yourself isn't confusing. Going to a professional photographer will certain be a good thing to do. Our confusion is simply about your interest in photography itself. Do you want to take better pictures yourself, or are you interested in knowing what a good picture would be so you can work with the professional photographer?

Last edited:
Thank you Granddad for your words of wisdom and for being honest. You have no idea how many guys just tell me what I want to hear just so they can get what they want. I always appreciate a honest opinion.
I just got done with my consultation with a professional photographer and I am excited and looking forward to the shoot which will be in a couple of weeks. He was very accepting of me and very accommodating to my needs on the day of the shoot... i.e. time to do my make-up, dress etc.
You are right that I can truly never be completely passable but if the accolades and compliments I get from the people are of merit, then I truly feel blessed and loved for who I am. Onward and upward!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back