Pocket Wizard Problems - please help!

ellehcim88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wondering if anyone else has had these problems and what you did to fix it.

I have one miniTT1 and two FlexTT5's. I have them on TTL mode and use the mini with my Canon 7D. The flashes that the FlexTT5s are connnected to are both speedlite 270EX's and powered by Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I use them withing 10 feet of each other pointing to reflective umbrellas.

The problems occur in the middle of a photo shoot. After about 100 frames they all start intermittently not firing. They start blowing out a few of my images as well. They seem to do a little better if I put a new little round battery in the mini as soon as it starts happening but this can get pretty expensive and annoying if I am using 2-3 $6.00 batteries per session.

I complained to the company and they sent me a new set but I still have the same problem.

Has anybody had this problem? Do you think it could have anything to do with the rechargeables? Or maybe a compatibility problem?

Any chance this is a heat-induced error?

I doubt it, but I won't reject any idea. I'm not shooting constantly during sessions. Usually every few seconds. How would I know if it were? ...they don't feel hot to touch.

The people at Pocket Wizzard ended up with a huge amount of egg on their collective face when they put out the new Flex line...the TT5 and Canon flashes has been plagued with problems, due to radio frequency interference problems created by the flash units...limited range, refusal to fire...unreliable firing,etc,etc...a HUGE problem. One of the founders of the PW company stated that they had bought a bunch of Canon speedlights to use in developing the Flex models, and that caused huge problems...various Canon speedlights have more, or less, radio frequency issues and problems...he stated that had they bought their speedlights from eBay (implying different vendors, and a wide range of production dates and models) that the problems would have been found out about.

PW created some special fabric wraps, or shrouds, that eliminate this problem when they units are used with Canon speedlights.

PocketWizard Flex TT5 Mini TT1 vs. RadioPopper PX Video Review TriCoast Photography | Wedding and Senior Portrait Artists

The problems and issues have been a huge source of embarrassment to the Pocket Wizard brand...they received very enthusiastic write-ups based on LIMITED testing from a FEW people, and then once they hit wide release, there was pandemonium. You might google it: this issue was big,big news 12-14 months ago.

The people at Pocket Wizzard ended up with a huge amount of egg on their collective face when they put out the new Flex line...the TT5 and Canon flashes has been plagued with problems, due to radio frequency interference problems created by the flash units...limited range, refusal to fire...unreliable firing,etc,etc...a HUGE problem. One of the founders of the PW company stated that they had bought a bunch of Canon speedlights to use in developing the Flex models, and that caused huge problems...various Canon speedlights have more, or less, radio frequency issues and problems...he stated that had they bought their speedlights from eBay (implying different vendors, and a wide range of production dates and models) that the problems would have been found out about.

PW created some special fabric wraps, or shrouds, that eliminate this problem when they units are used with Canon speedlights.

PocketWizard Flex TT5 Mini TT1 vs. RadioPopper PX Video Review TriCoast Photography | Wedding and Senior Portrait Artists

The problems and issues have been a huge source of embarrassment to the Pocket Wizard brand...they received very enthusiastic write-ups based on LIMITED testing from a FEW people, and then once they hit wide release, there was pandemonium. You might google it: this issue was big,big news 12-14 months ago.

270 is not supposed to be one of the flashes causing the problem.

PocketWizard - RF Shields

That's right. I did a lot of research before purchasing my set-up. It is all supposed to work according to PW.

Yeah...I know...they were "supposed" to work great, with long range, reliable transmission and reliable firing...they were "supposed to be compatible"...they were "supposed to be great"...but instead, one's flashes need to be wrapped in condoms made of special fabric that can block radio frequency interference Canon flashes put off...they were "supposed to be" a big advancement in Pocket Wizard technology, but they were a humiliating flop instead. It was a real surprise to the buyers at what a flop this system has been. The same thing has also happened to the Q-flash people; their system of communication for their flashes has been a miserable flop as well. And so you find yourself needing to use two, or three $6 batteries per session. Man, that has got to suck!

That's right. I did a lot of research before purchasing my set-up. It is all supposed to work according to PW.

Yeah...I know...they were "supposed" to work great, with long range, reliable transmission and reliable firing...they were "supposed to be compatible"...they were "supposed to be great"...but instead, one's flashes need to be wrapped in condoms made of special fabric that can block radio frequency interference Canon flashes put off...they were "supposed to be" a big advancement in Pocket Wizard technology, but they were a humiliating flop instead. It was a real surprise to the buyers at what a flop this system has been. The same thing has also happened to the Q-flash people; their system of communication for their flashes has been a miserable flop as well. And so you find yourself needing to use two, or three $6 batteries per session. Man, that has got to suck!

Did you even read the link? The 270 is one of the Canon flashes that they haven't had problems with. PW acknowledges the Canon flashes that they've had problems with; if you'd have clicked on that link and read the article, you would have known that.

And how were they a humiliating flop? Other than the interference problem, they do what they're supposed to, other wise, people wouldn't be purchasing them or reccomending them.

I think I may have somewhat solved the problem/mystery with them. I'm not 100% sure yet because I want to do a little more testing before I'm convinced, but I think the problem was the fact that I was using regular rechargeable batteries in the FlexTT5s even though I was charging them before every use. I recently purchased some non-rechargeable lithium batteries and have used them continuously in three photos sessions with no problems thus far. If this has solved the function problems with the units, that's great except that now I will have to constantly be purchasing new (and expensive) batteries regularly which is something I hadn't planned to do. It would be great if PocketWizard could correct this flaw by providing rechargeable lithium batteries with every unit and stating the problem on the web site until then.

Have you tried regular alkaline batteries? If they also work, it would be cheaper than buying lithium. But still, I would think that NiMH should work fine.

Most reactions

Back