Point-and-Shoot Camera Suggestions

Chipotles088

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I shoot with DSLR's exclusively, myself, but I'm looking to buy a little point-and-shoot for my girlfriend. I'm looking at all the new Nikon CoolPix cameras (she really likes the design of the CoolPix 'S' series), and notice that none of them have viewfinders!

I am wondering if I should go ahead and get her one of these, since I know already that she thinks they look "really cool" on the commercials, or if I should look elsewhere. I know that generally speaking, she probably won't miss the viewfinder and would have no problem using the LCD.

But what about in full sunlight? Are LCD's completely worthless in such bright light? I know they'd be sort of washed out at the very least, but are they completely unusable?

Looking at all of the other features of the Nikon CoolPix S550, I think it's pretty nifty. It's generally an 'auto only' camera, but then again, what point-and-shoot isn't? It has the usual bells and whistles (various scene modes and white balance presets, exposure compensation, macro mode, etc.), and I know she would absolutely adore playing around with the time-lapse movie mode.

I just can't get over the lack of a viewfinder. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Oh, and here's the camera I'm looking at - http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26109/COOLPIX S550.html

I never used the viewfinder on any of my point-and-shoots. They're typically way too small to be of any use, and the LCD screen works just fine in any situation. As you said, it's mostly a full auto camera, so she probably will be using the LCD to compose, not to adjust exposure, so wash-out shouldn't be much of an issue.

Go with the CoolPix, she likes it and it works quite well.

I'm shooting with a Nikon D200 now myself, but I started out a few years ago with a little Sony point-and-shoot. This was a few years ago, when LCD screens were much smaller (the one on my Sony was, what, 1.5"?), and even still, I never used the viewfinder. Worked for me just as well outside as in. It could be a little harder to see in the sunlight, sure, but after awhile I just had a feel for the camera and could intuitively compose a shot without paying much attention to the LCD anyway.

Go ahead and get it - I hear it takes pretty sweet photos. I'm sure she'll really find it to be more than adequate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back