Polarizer

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you think every landscape photographer should own a CPL filter or can its effect be also somewhat added in post? I do a lot of landscape photography and have recently bought a Lee gead nd filter to prevent the skies from blowing out and would liketo hear your thoughts as to whether it could be a subdtitute or is the CPL essenial in your opinion?

The effects of a polarizer is one that simply cannot be replicated in post.

Contrast and saturation effects can be adjusted in editing; however removing reflected light such as water reflections/shine is something you can't do in editing and is why a polarizer remains a very valid tool in a photographers bag even in the digital age.

For example - Without a polarizer

With a polarizer

With flowers this also has a good effect on lowering the shiny reflection you get off plant leaves and petals.

I think a polarizing filter is something every photographer should have.

Just bought my first Polarizer, don't too confident when and how to use it but in time I hope to be comfortable with it.

I have three of them, since a few lenses don't have 77mm filter threads. I suppose I could have used adapter rings, but the filters were accumulated over time as my glass changed.

In my opinion, Hoya is better than Tiffen, optically. Also, avoid using a circular polarizer for skies on a very wide lens, the effect is inconsistent from one side to the other. I'm talking about lenses less than about 25mm/full frame or 18mm/APS-C. Using it in those situations can give you a very dark patch of sky in one part of the image.

Finally, don't use a CP lens when you plan to stitch images. It messes up the tonal match.

I have a question. I often do long exposure photography. Can I stack the polarizer on top of an ND filter to give the skies a darker and fuller tone?

Another question. I've read that CPL filters cause vignetting on wide lenses. I have a Sigma 10-20; is this one of these lenses that won't quite work with a filter or are they talking about others?

Another question. I've read that CPL filters cause vignetting on wide lenses.
That's not necessarily true. For your consideration: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...s/303869-polarizer-ultra-wide-angle-lens.html

The point: Don't just take the internet "wisdom" that floats around as factual. It's all too often a load of bull and bias and ignorance based on more of the same that THEY read somewhere from someone else who got their "information" the exact same way.

I have a Sigma 10-20; is this one of these lenses that won't quite work with a filter or are they talking about others?
Someone who actually HAS one of those lenses AND the filter in question AND is willing to actually do the test is the person to answer that question. Since I don't have that lens, I'm not that person. Here's hoping that person sees this thread and can help.

I have a question. I often do long exposure photography. Can I stack the polarizer on top of an ND filter to give the skies a darker and fuller tone?
Yes.
Does it matter in what order they are stacked? Would the nd filter go on the lens first or the cpl? I usually use a 10-stop nd so it would be impossible to adjust the cpl as you can't see through it. If the cpl gies first, would you unwillingly turn it while attaching the nd on it?

It doesn't matter which is on top. However, before adding two filters of any kind, consider the fact that any glass hung on the front of a lens will degrade acuity at least a little. Multiple filters can also cause vignetting. See below.

Regarding the vignetting question asked earlier, the reason that some polarizers cause vignetting with ultra-wide lenses is that the filter barrel is usually taller than a standard filter due to the need to have both moving and stationary elements, which can impinge on the angle of view. There are some filters designed for wide-angle use that have slimmer barrels. Something else to consider is that a polarizer is difficult or impossible to use with a lens hood in place, so you'll often have to remove the hood, adjust the filter, then reinstall the hood if you're concerned about strong light striking the lens and causing fog or flare.

The closest I can come to the specific question you asked was to put a polarizer on my Nikon 12-24mm DX lens, which takes a 77mm filter. No vignetting even at 12mm, but that's not to say it wouldn't happen at 10mm. Also, if I add another filter to the polarizer, I get big-time vignetting at short focal lengths.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back