POLICE and Photography

When it comes to practising action shots with a moving subject, I avoid kid's parks and go with my friend and his Dog to... yup, a local Dog park. Never had another Dog owner mind, the Dogs move fast and I've gotten some interesting shots.

As for police, I was parked by a river under one of our larger bridges and took some night shots (nothing spectacular) and when I went back to my car a cop passed by and turned around. Just asked what I was doing and suggested I have my four way flashers on, and that I should wear a reflective vest when out near a road at night.

Good suggestions.

Being in possession of a camera doesn't give you permission to photograph anything you like imo

If you are standing on public ground, photographing something in plain view of the public, then you have every right to take a photo of it (some exceptions may apply for National Security, but those are very very very few and far between).

Don't confuse "Permissions" with "Rights".

I've taken photographs of babies, toddlers, teenagers, middle aged people, senior citizens, bundled in jackets, nearly naked, poses or candid shots. Not once have I been asked to stop or delete the image. If I was, I probably would just to avoid the argument.

I've never yet had problem with police. The only thing a police officer ever said to me was: "Wow, nice lens. I bet that thing cost more than I make in a week." I told him the lens actually costs $20. It was an old manual focus Vivitar 200mm prime (quite large) I had attached to my digital camera with an M42 adaptor. We both had a chuckle.

One day a security guard asked what I was doing. I told him I was playing with my historgram (which I was, testing it). By the time I got done explaining to him what a histogram was (and I went into great technical detail), his face glazed over and he just walked away.

One day a security guard asked what I was doing. I told him I was playing with my historgram (which I was, testing it). By the time I got done explaining to him what a histogram was (and I went into great technical detail), his face glazed over and he just walked away.

Now that's funny. I can see it. :lol:

I have never had a single photography related police contact... I have had more than a few non-photography related 'incidents' though. Judging by how those went, I would probably just do whatever they wanted me to just to get away from them as fast as possible. Let's just say that my prior dealings with law enforcement have given me a less than favorable attitude towards cops...

Maybe it's just where I live, but they aren't exactly the kind of people I would ever want to talk to. ...And to think, not long ago, I considered joining the force.

I don't think I could ever fully trust a cop... I know that in the back of his mind, he's looking for ways that he can ruin my day, lol.

I know not all cops are like that, it just seems like most of them are... It's because of 'them' that I have this "us vs. them" attitude...

Last edited:
I only have run ins with the cops when I'm shooting at night. They don't understand how you can take a picture when it's dark outside.

never had problems with REAL cops. Only with COPS WANNABE!! I was parked at the edge of COSTCO parking lot (very very far from the building), a white SUV with yellow strobe light drove by and told me to leave. They dont want anyone in their lot when it is not business hour. WTH.

Another time was on a Campus. A campus security told me to leave. I was taking some HDR of old buildings on campus.

This makes sense, as real cops patrol public spaces where it's legal to photograph whereas "wannabe" cops patrol private spaces where you have no legal right to photograph.

Being in possession of a camera doesn't give you permission to photograph anything you like imo
If you are standing on public ground, photographing something in plain view of the public, then you have every right to take a photo of it (some exceptions may apply for National Security, but those are very very very few and far between).

Don't confuse "Permissions" with "Rights".

I've taken photographs of babies, toddlers, teenagers, middle aged people, senior citizens, bundled in jackets, nearly naked, poses or candid shots. Not once have I been asked to stop or delete the image. If I was, I probably would just to avoid the argument.

I'll take issue with your "national security" statement, you cannot protect freedom by giving it up.

I just want to know if MissTwinkle met her hubby at one of those MANY stops by the cops... lmao

I did contact a guy once who was taking pictures of girls sun bathing on a grassy lawn. It's a well known spot where on nice days, 100+ girls will be basking in the rays. He voluntarily showed me his camera, and there were over 300 close up pictures of girls naughty bits on there. Needless to say a check of his record indicated he was a sex offender... Go figure... Unfortunately, in cases like this, those people are protected by the same rights you and I are, so there really isn't anything we can even do to someone like that. Although I bluffed and told him I would release a statement to the press with his name in it and what he was up to. It worked...he deleted the photos and left.

Don't you dare make assumptions about who I am or what "other things" I might do on duty. You have no idea how many battles I have fought to protect peoples rights. Including almost loosing my job because I flat out told my department administrators I wouldn't write someone a citation because I felt it wasn't constitutional! Do you honestly think I go about at random and "make people pay" because I don't like what they are doing? Boy, you've got some serious perspective issues. And what about the rights of the girls to be free of harassing behavior? Based on your comment, I have to assume you are only interested in your own agenda, and have no consideration for how the law applies to all. And for your information, the Constitution, and the United States Supreme Court says I can do exactly what I did. If you don't like it, writer your congressman...

Also, I didn't happen across this guy by random, I was called there by many of the girls who were so freaked out by this guy they were afraid for their safety. But, according to DennyCrane, I should have ignored those pleas for help from the girls on the other end of that lens.
I find it interesting NOW you say you were called to deal with the guy when in your first post you made no mention of this. I also find it interesting that you think I'm assuming anything about you. I'm simply wondering what other lies you tell citizens and what other bluffs you pull.

YOU, in fact, are making assumptions about me. YOU say that "according to DennyCrane, I should have ignored those pleas for help from the girls on the other end of that lens." This plea that you never mentioned in your first post here.

You talk about how the law applies to all, but you clearly show disdain for it by admitting you have problems following orders from your superiors. A large portion of my customer base are law enforcement officers and they're ALL great people who have never talked about tactics like this. In fact more than a few are photographers, too. I think this kind of activity is not the standard procedure for police officers. And I am glad. Good day, sir. You are now on my ignore list.

I completely understand why people don't trust Police if they've had bad dealings, we're not all like it trust me and unfortunately it's the few that ruin it for the many.

The best way to approach any dealings with the police is to first remember they're just people like you and they're doing a difficult job. Don't make it harder.

I've been chased by some family dogs, told to leave by some angry farmers, and both rent-a-cops and Police have enquired of my intentions. Only the Rent-a-cops told me to leave. I didnt, they threatened, they left, i got my shot and left. I like to think i know my rights. All of this happened this summer too.

Most reactions

Back