Portable light reflectors

ceemac

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What kind of light reflectors work best for outdoor portrait photography. Ones that are easily collapsible. Do you use stands?
thanks

The 42", 5 in 1, circular is probably the most common; I personally prefer my 40x60 as it's both larger and easier to hold. In my experience reflector stands are not terribly effective out of doors, since it actually requires a fairly precise degree of control to get the maximum benefit from a reflector; a VAL* is best. I generally prefer the white or silver depending on the degree of specularity desired. Almost anything will work though; a sheet of white Styrofoam, piece of cardstock, even a white t-shirt.

*Voice Activated Lightstand

Since I'm generally on my own, I first like to dig a trench and pour a 24x24x16 foundation to provide support for the stud wall that I build to hold the Da&^% big reflector that is constantly blowing everywhere in the wind!!!!

+1 for a basic 42" circular 5-in-1 reflector. I have one from Westcott that was about $40, but they can be found for half that if you go with Neewer, or even less if you go real cheap. I also use a Flashpoint ball head reflector holder that attaches to any standard light stand, since I don't have an assistant, but keep in mind you may need sandbags when used outside. My only complaint is that I wish the white and silver sides were visible at the same time without having to unzip and convert anything, since I never really use the other colors.

I bought a stand and used it once with my 40-60. Wind got under it and it took off like a helicopter and landed in a tree. A little teenager (he haggled with me for a $10 fee) came by after some time and climbed up the tree for me to retrieve the reflector. The stand broke when it hit the tree or the ground. I was a little frustrated, embarrassed, and felt swindled by the nimble, pimpled teen.

If any wind, the smallest that will do the job. In no wind, I like a 3x6' that has angled legs with sand bags. No assistant needed. I have a cross piece on it so can position it with one hand. It is always on the shadow side in studio. A silver white cover is perfect but also have a black white for subtraction or in studio, to eliminated light bouncing around. If minimal wind, the 40" held by an assistant or passerby. More wind, I like the trigrips have less wind resistance. If no wind, I have a 6.5" with b/w, silver/white and translucent and can be hung on 2 stands to soften or eliminate light. In mid day, if I don't want to hand the 6 footer, I have a translucent umbrella that can be held over subjects head to eliminate racoon eye and the assistant can hold a trigrip in the other hand as a main.

Most reactions

Back