portrait c+c please

halestorm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I took this portrait of my wife today while on a hike and i'm wanting some feedback please

kristenportrait.jpg

underexposed

Wow thats all I ever hear "underexposed" u do realize that not all photographs have to be bright and shiny right?

Maybe it could help this one...

It would bring a bit more detail into the sunglasses and they wouldn't be lost into the left side of the frame.

Bright things pull the eye
The little sliver of her shirt is the brightest thing in the picture
It pulls the eye while her glasses just merge into the dark background

I suggest that, before getting all artsy with a style, you practice the basics a bit more.

Often people say, "under exposed' when what they are really trying to convey is, "poor use of light".

As mentioned, in this case the subject is poorly separated from the background with the far outline of the dark glasses being lost, and the near cheek looking almost soot covered.

The dark shadows under the nose, lower lip and chin give the subject a haggard and unkempt air.

So in the context of a 'grunge' look the photo has a bit of merit.

All in all it seems a stretch to call the shot a portrait. Perhaps calling it a candid close up would fit better.
It appears little, if any, real though was given to the light within the context of effective photographic lighting. Even with 'dark' being the mood/theme the photographer wanted to portray.

Back to under exposure.......

Because of the way digital cameras work, they don't handle under exposure very well. http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf

The technical aspects of doing digital photography well surpass the depth of the technical aspects that involve using film. That is because a lot of the technology is handled during the manufacturing of the film.
Since digital cameras instead have an analog electronic image sensor that can't even record color, the digital photographer has to be more aware of the technical factors that influence the quality of their images.

underexposed

Wow thats all I ever hear "underexposed" u do realize that not all photographs have to be bright and shiny right?

Yes, but the under exposure only aids to it's uninterestingness. Sorry. If there was dynamic lighting that warranted the underexposure, then maybe it would have been more well received.

To The Traveler: ok well I've been holding a camera since I was 2 years old and my father has been a photography professor at a university for 40 years and I have taken his classes several times and he has used my photography when i was a child several times to show his students what they should be doing with their work so believe me when I say I fully understand the BASICS ASS hole

P.S. I've seen your photography and its hardly art so how about you take your 4077 posts and stay out of mine OK?

To The Traveler: ok well I've been holding a camera since I was 2 years old and my father has been a photography professor at a university for 40 years and I have taken his classes several times and he has used my photography when i was a child several times to show his students what they should be doing with their work so believe me when I say I fully understand the BASICS ASS hole

P.S. I've seen your photography and its hardly art so how about you take your 4077 posts and stay out of mine OK?

Why the h3ll are you posting in Beginner's forum and ask for critique, Mr Expert?

Well, with those credentials, why are you posting in the beginners forum? Honest question, since you are claiming to be "all that".

Maybe it's your monitor, 'cause the original is the better of the two.

One thing you clearly didn't learn in your extensive taking of courses was common civility.

I am not claiming anything just explaining who I am and what I know also the traveler has posted in my other threads and just comes of as a bit of an assuming ahole so sorry about that post it was kinda directed at him. Now I am posting in the beginners section because I get more responses here and I am a noob when it comes to this site so it seemed like a good place to get some constructive criticism so with that being said I would love it if some of you would give your try at editing this shot so I can learn something today I am always willing to learn from others so please share here is the original please help me understand how my shot can look better thank you

056.jpg

Most reactions

Back