Portrait. C&C welcomed.......... Paying Gig! Woot!

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A buddy of mine works for a global Corporation....... Let's just say it rhymes with "Varget"..... and is getting some kind of an award at their upcoming company meeting. As part of this they will be displaying his picture on a big screen for part of this event.

His work offered an opportunity to get his photo taken professionally onsite, but of course he missed it. They stated that as a result, he was responsible or getting his photo taken, with specific criteria. They wanted it on a white background, well lit (read flat lighting),from about the waist up. He was given a couple of sample shots as examples, and sent them my way.

Not hard, I know..... but it's nice to have the opportunity to work for what a "client" wants, to see if you can do it. Well, for me it is anyways.

I don't have a studio, and i have a teeny tiny house, so this posed a bit of an issue for me. I had to tie up the chandelier in the dining room, move the dining room table out of the way and hang a white bedsheet up.

I used two speedlights through umbrellas to light the subject, and a bare slave strobe to blow out the white sheet. This was shot with a Nikon Nifty Fifty I'm really happy with how this turned out!

C&C is welcome, but before you go telling me how much better the lighting should be, remember that this is exactly what the "client" asked for.

Now for the best part..... Even though I offered to do this for free, he paid me with a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a bottle of Jameson. :lol:

7818742970_4bf69c68ea.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say you did dam well, especially considering the confines of your "studio". While it is very evenly lit, it's not totally flat. I do think though he's a touch over-exposed; not a lot, but I'd fiddle with the exposure slider (down a hair) and the saturation (up a hair).

Nice enough job overall. Necessity is the mother of invention. You made it work!

I think you did a pretty amazing job considering your limitations!!! It's beautiful.
My only question is if this is going to crop into what they want. Which with this image is no problem-you can just increase the white area behind him so it easily crops into whatever format they want.

Thanks folks! I appreciate the kind words! Tirediron, in looking at this again, I don't disagree with you, but it's a moot point now. He Already sent this (and two others) off to Corporate. I will say that this is the first time anyone has said I've overexposed something.... usually with me it's just the opposite. I'm glad to hear I'm making the adjustment! :lol:Thanks for the advice just the same.... I will make the adjustment as a learning exercise. My eye for proper exposure is developing a wee bit too slowly for my tastes.

My only question is if this is going to crop into what they want.

The samples looked to be cropped at 5x7, so I followed suit. Either way, like you said this one would be really easy to manipulate if the good folks that put this together want to change it.

...it's a moot point now. He Already sent this (and two others) off to Corporate. I will say that this is the first time anyone has said I've overexposed something...
I wouldn't worry about it; as I said, the changes would be very minor; if you do this sort of work in the future, you'll likely find that incident metering will provide you a much more accurate exposure than reflective.

I really like it! I think it looks great, and the exposure looks perfect to me! Great job, especially with your limitations!!

Thanks! Luckily I was able to get the house put back together before my better half came home. I'me sure she would have been irritated with me if I left it for her to resolve.....

if you do this sort of work in the future, you'll likely find that incident metering will provide you a much more accurate exposure than reflective.

That means I have to buy a meter. Woo Hooo! An excuse to buy more toys! :D

Even though I offered to do this for free, he paid me with a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a bottle of Jameson. :lol:

Whoot-whoot!

I think in times such as this, the photographer should take on the role of teacher. Explain to the client why a low-key light is usually better for men, and show him some examples. If he still wants high-key, then shoot away.

I think in times such as this, the photographer should take on the role of teacher. Explain to the client why a low-key light is usually better for men, and show him some examples. If he still wants high-key, then shoot away.

I don't disagree..... but in this case it wasn't even an option. I wish I could post the examples I was given. The problem is that he is not the only one getting an award for this meeting. There will be somewhere along the lines ot 7-10 thousand people there, a small handfull of them getting awards and photos displayed, and all the photos that are displayed need to look "the same" in true corporate fashion.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back